some super nice cliff almond

Rodge

Re: some super nice cliff almond

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:
Robert Bluman wrote: I believe Cliff to be the only drummer to successfully come out of that Weckl sound.

What do you mean?

Cliff was a real Dave's clone, maybe that one of the reason Dave put him on the Camilo's gig.

But now Clif is another drummer, I think that he has a strong "rock" side in his drumming, he has also that "East Coast" vibe, if you know what I mean. :) :)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Rodge wrote:he has also that "East Coast" vibe, if you know what I mean. :) :)

You mean like Corsica? Marseille?

:D

Love ya Rodge!
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Manu

Postby Manu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Victor Lipman wrote:

I can't say anything about the singer/keyboardist... It's like Vinnie with Re-Cool or Ikaru Utada...

But, simple/effective groove here.

Hey everyone got to pay the bills, right? I gotta say that the drum sound there was killer.

Cliff is a terrific drummer, one of my favs for sure, and up there with the greats regardless of the fact that he doesn' t have all the success he truly deserves imo.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Rodge wrote:
Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:
Robert Bluman wrote: I believe Cliff to be the only drummer to successfully come out of that Weckl sound.

What do you mean?

Cliff was a real Dave's clone, maybe that one of the reason Dave put him on the Camilo's gig.

But now Clif is another drummer, I think that he has a strong "rock" side in his drumming, he has also that "East Coast" vibe, if you know what I mean. :) :)

I see. Yeah I am probably too young to have noticed this. I can see the connection but I have always considered Cliff to have a more aggressive, angular style whereas Dave has a more a more rolling, fluid style.
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Man...Anthony Jackson looks sooooo skinny on that video. Never seen him like that...He looks "weird" but GREAT though u know!!!
NOTE: this is a very unnecessary comment but no intention to offend anyone here please...just a quick note since I'm so used to see Anthony as a big guy!
BACK To drumming talk...hehehe
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 pm

MrGroover wrote:Man...Anthony Jackson looks sooooo skinny on that video.

Yeah, he looks great. Another reminder (or inspiration) for me to get in shape. I love Anthony Jackson's playing. He invented the 6-string bass and is probably the only guy who never fails to floor me with it.
John Blackburn

Postby John Blackburn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm

... thanks YamahaPlayer ;-)

You know what i mean though, i for one never think to exploit the increased range of dynamics available with monitors etc... I see piano trio and my brain automatically pushes my playing in a different direction, i cant get passed the acoustic nature of the music. Until i hear this, then i get past it very quickly and wish that my pianist friends were into it, and that i had the skills...
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Rodge you have deep ears my friend! Why is it you get what I'm talking about and others are ready to throw a negative vibe into my words? What's up with this place?
I'll tell what you I meant in my post. Cliff's style comes directly out of Dave. Like Gadd, Dave spawned hundreds of clones in his time. Cliff is the only one who has developed that Dave Weckl style into his own while becoming a name player. I can't think of any successful drummers who have come out of Dave directly like this. I still hear tons of Weckl circa 1984-1990 in Cliff's playing although it has become his own. Yes it's more aggressive and I think it's more complex at times, but still it comes out of what Dave developed and made popular. Don't turn this around on me, it's not a bad thing. I love Cliff's drumming.
John, I think you make a great point. I'll tell you, Michel Camillo plays the piano in manner that is not super respected by piano players. Who cares, he's amazing right? But still, its his technique they knock, and how he bangs on the piano. He's a very loud piano player, and that's what enables his drummers to play at such high volumes and blast like that. Like you said, you can't play piano trio like that in real life. All you will hear is the drumkit. Danilo Perez for example is pianist with this kind of energy, but he would never play with a drummer that loud. I think Antonio Sanchez was in his trio. Antonio is super soft.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 am

Gaddabout wrote:
Rodge wrote:he has also that "East Coast" vibe, if you know what I mean. :) :)

You mean like Corsica? Marseille?

:D

Love ya Rodge!

Ahhaahaha, good one Matt, if Cliff had that vibe from Corsica or Marseille, he would not be the drummer he is. :D :D :D :D

Love you too bro'.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
John Blackburn

Postby John Blackburn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:11 am

Yes, certainly not an approach intended for restaraunt gigs... ;-)

What about zach D? he was fairly weckl-y for awhile wasnt he?

Return to “Drumming Chat”