The Prieto Madness - AMAZING

sejuba

The Prieto Madness - AMAZING

Postby sejuba » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 am

I know there was a post about Dafnis Prieto already but I just found out about this guy´s music last night.
JAW DROPPING ! AMAZING MUSIC ! Beautiful and complex melodies followed by rythms I can only dream of
playing.

For those who haven´t heard this, please check this music out. IT´S INCREDIBLY GOOD !
Right now I´m listening to Dafnis Prieto Absolute Quintet
Here´s the song that opens up the record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_W9Jrsif0

this record is scary...damn !! sooooooooooooooo good !!
Last edited by sejuba on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
deseipel

Re: The Prieto Madness - AMAZING

Postby deseipel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 am

sounds intriguing so far, nice post.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 am

YEAH...Dafnis Prieto is an incredible drummer.

Master Class: Latin Percussion Technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgroW6Pvww
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

I gotta be honest, I respect him as a musician, and I will probably never reach the soles of his shoes, but Dafnis just doesn't do it for me. He doesn't move me, there's something that doesn't click IMO.

I don't say it to flame, just expressing my opinion. I tried watching that long concert someone posted a while ago and stopped a few minutes onto it because I wasn't getting it.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Check out Dafnis on these two albums by The Caribbean Jazz Project:

Birds of a Feather

The Gathering (grammy winner)

Drumming is beautiful and tasty. And the production is outstanding. Some of the best sound quality and mixing I've ever heard.

I enjoy his playing better in this context.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I love Dafnis for 3 reasons. He's experimental, he's organic, and he's a master of rhythm. The brain seeks comfort. Comfort equals music that we've heard before in some shape or form. Almost everyone we talk about in this forum comes out of someone else that we love. Even such originals as Mark Guiliana and Keith Carlock. Dafnis is hard to trace. He's difficult to understand. I'm not comparing him to Tony Williams and Elvins Jones, but I will say that most drummers did not understand Tony and Elvin for the first several years. I too have a hard time listening to Dafnis. I'll indulge my ears for 2 or 3 songs, but then I just want to turn my brain off and enjoy something. Not sure if you know what I mean. I think he's amazing too, but I'll have to blame myself and say sometimes I don't get it either.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm

That is an awesome clinic!! Thanks for sharing, never heard of him but great playing, great insight, great sound, just super super awesome.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Manu wrote:I gotta be honest, I respect him as a musician, and I will probably never reach the soles of his shoes, but Dafnis just doesn't do it for me. He doesn't move me, there's something that doesn't click IMO.

I don't say it to flame, just expressing my opinion. I tried watching that long concert someone posted a while ago and stopped a few minutes onto it because I wasn't getting it.

I think that's a very fair and intelligent opinion. I think you can always honor or appreciate someone's skill even if they don't touch your soul with their music. I still don't get DeJohnette, even though rationally I can hear how amazing he is -- and I leave the door open down the road for my ears to open up and suddenly hear whatever everyone is hearing.

Prieto doesn't dazzle me as a technician, but I find the way he interacts with his group very appealing. He really embodies the idea of making music as a drummer. His approach is so holistic and his command of meter is master level. I get what you mean, though. Sometimes you just want him to unleash a monster fill to take the intensity of the group to some other level. But I think his band usually starts playing at a very high level, anyway, so it's to say there's anyplace left to go. ;)
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Nice clips, thanks guys!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 am

FANTASTIC interview ! >>>

Return to “Drumming Chat”