Gavin and Axis pedal set up

YamahaPlayer

Re: Gavin and Axis pedal set up

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I sent you a PM. Though it isn't a design flaw, it's intentional. Just like DW 9K's, no independent footplate adjust-ability. Part of their design that deems the pedal "faster" or what have you.

A machine shop could pretty much make you whatever you need for sure, get em to fab out a few different spacer pieces. There seems to be enough people asking the question, you might have found a hole in the market....
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 am

Hi Groober,

I know the 'concern' you're having especially if you've just switched from the Sonic Hammers - it's going to feel like the pedal goes down too far. There is no way to independently adjust the footboard angle against the beater angle. That's just the 'feel' of the Axis pedal - it's a fixed thing. Spacers could be one solution - I never tried that because I got used to the Axis feel from early on. The Axis A21 pedal might be to your liking as they have moved the beater angle forward by 21 degrees.

best of luck
Gavin
groober

Postby groober » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Gavin, thank you so much ! That's just what i needed to hear. I need to try the lower footboard position a bit more me thinks. Great inspiration as always. Thank you Gavin. You've made my day.
Very Best Groober
groober

Postby groober » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 am

Hi Anybody that might be in the same position ...I spoke with Karen at Axis and confirmed that replacing the part that holds the beater (number one they call it) with that of the A21's you would then get back so to speak your missing distance and angle. Think i'll give it a week or so trying to get used to new angle knowing that there is a solution to fall back on. (35 Dollars + p+p)
Thanks especially to Gavin and to cjbdrm and Mr lightshedder
adrummer10

Postby adrummer10 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:32 am

Hello! Anybody knows which line of Axis pedals are Gavin using currently? Is it still A longboards or the A21? Thanks for answering!
adrummer10
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:50 am

"A" Longboards

Cheers
Gavin
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am

I'm now totally officially confused.

I have the standard 'A' pedals (not Longboard), and the first adjustment I made was pedal angle to beater angle.

The previous owner had this pedal adjusted so that at rest the pedal was nearly on the floor and the beater nearly against the head.
I've always preferred more whip in a pedal; so, after examining the beast for a bit, I loosened the two hex bolts at the cam spindle (the block the spring attaches to), and that allowed me to roll the shaft the beater lives on. This adjustment angles the beater back so that the back-end of the two-headed Sonor beater I use was staring at the top of my shoe --like a loose Speed King. Then, using the Variable whatever adjuster thingy with the T-bolt, I changed the pedal angle relative to the floor up about 1/2". The end result approximated the angles of a DW5000 the Axis replaced.

Are we talking about the same thing? What I describe sounds a lot like an adjustment of the beater and pedal independent of one another.

?
groober

Postby groober » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi Old pit guy,
the variable drive lever thingameebob does alter the footboard's angle a little but should (so i gather) be used first to tune if you will the pedals feel from very very responsive to less responsive. So my recommendation would be to "dial in" your preferred feel first and then get angle set up after.
I have tried messing with the drive lever and it's really amazing how that changes the feel. I personally love them and seem to able to articulate myself more with them, plus they just feel great. But that's just my humble opinion.
Hope that clarifies things.
Happy experimenting.
( loosening the bolts at the spring meets axle part will alter beater angle but also alters footboard height therefore lacks independence )

Return to “Drumming Chat”