Some Chris Coleman

Rudy_Ment

Some Chris Coleman

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Love this guys playing. Gospel yes, but not your typical gospel player really, I'd place him more in the cobham/chambers camp probably.
The groove and textures in Galatians is sublime. I'm really impressed with meinl cymbals, that raw bell ride and those hihats are gorgeous. Ride reminds me of my special dry ride.

Groove

More complex piece, the kind you'd expect from weckl.

Solo
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Gaddabout

Re: Some Chris Coleman

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:40 pm

On the second clip, the fill at 3:14, I just about crapped my pants. I don't even know what it was ... some crossover inverting ladder fill thingy in 6:4? That's some crazy chit to pull when he was already pretty much going for it.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah Gaddabout, that part was intense!

I heard something that sounded like 6's and 9's a la Gadd/Weckl and Chris Perra ;)...you know, the typical paradiddle-diddle triplet stuff...but the voice selection in the pattern made it sound really hip!
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:40 am

I find the angles of his cymbals odd, I would spend a lot of money on sticks if I angled cymbals that way, besides what's the purpose? look at the china and the splash over the hats. What you guys think?
fun-k

Postby fun-k » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 am

Man , he is one of my best .....
and his attidude is most important thing here , he is havin fun while playin , he is smilin and thats the most important thing we forgot every time we play... we are so obsessed with what we gonna play or which lick we should do here and there , showin off our chops ..... and crap.
Anyway hope you guys all havin fun while you play ....

take care
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 am

Manu wrote:I find the angles of his cymbals odd, I would spend a lot of money on sticks if I angled cymbals that way, besides what's the purpose? look at the china and the splash over the hats. What you guys think?

The purpose ? Well, I think he's comfortable that way, it's as simple than that. And of course he don't have any problem for finding people who want to gime some stick for free... :D

I don't like the sound they did at that Meinl event, same for Gergo and Chris, dead sound, but they are AWESOME still, right on.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:17 am

Manu wrote:I find the angles of his cymbals odd, I would spend a lot of money on sticks if I angled cymbals that way, besides what's the purpose? look at the china and the splash over the hats. What you guys think?

Odd? No, different. I've aver a guess that you have more "movement" in striking the cymbal at that angle, more "swing", explosion maybe quicker, more volume? Miliseconds faster getting to the crash, i.e. staying in meter? My observations of Chris' flow and stick movement seems to be more circular on going to crashes and not so much slicing at the cymbals. I've tried it, the cymbal positioning...I seem to catch cymbals easier in that position, ala Sandy McKee...of Coldblood fame. More of a success rate and less possiblity of cutting hands on the edge.
As far as sticks being an issue? I have way more than I need. I don't forsee it as a problem...better technique, cleaner technique in hitting cymbals, more flow and less slashing at them...or the cymbal felts are just crushed to one side and hence the cymbals hang funny. If one sees Keith Carlock, as to how he has his drums facing away or as of late on the cover of the british drum mag, Rhythm (for January 2011) Dave Weckl has his floor toms facing away, slanted towards the audience!? I just thought he has taken the Freddy Gruber concepts of relaxation to further heights. It's all in trying to play the instrument more effiently, I guess...traditional grip accomodation. Reminds me, too of Bill Bruford, when he 1st reconfigured his set up. I'd imagine it may catch on, maybe not. Probably valid reasonings for such small, intricate changes.
G
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Yeah good post ghost noter, I am sure there's some reason behind that but it is indeed a rare thing, I don't think I have ever seen it before.
Jelle

Postby Jelle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:09 pm

That's interesting...
Some time ago I saw Will Kennedy on YouTube with similar odd cymbal angles:

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 am

Chris Coleman has class. Plenty of chops, but he knows when to pull back and groove. Not my favourite kit sound, but it definitely works for him and his feel is excellent.

Return to “Drumming Chat”