Tombo 7/4

Tower of Power US & Canada dates 2011

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 am

Just got informed of it by Ralph Angelillo:
http://www.towerofpower.com/tour-dates/
beat hit

Re: Tower of Power US & Canada dates 2011

Postby beat hit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks for the heads up... I MUST go and see them... THat would my first TOP concert...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Well tonight was the T.O.P concert and I was totally thrilled to see David Garibaldi live for the first time ... Phenomenal pocket and groove as expected.. The whole band was real tight... faithful to their reputation... The only downside was the sound... was in the balcony... very muddy...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Listen to David's pocket and drive.. That's what I am talking about...

Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I agree that there's energy and drive in this clip, but pocket.....ummm...
Something doesn't sit here IMO. Sounds like it's coming from his foot hi-hat playing which is too on top and his ghost notes which are too audible.

I'm not taking anything from DG and respect his innovations and intricate grooves, but I don't consider him like a extra great pocket player. The "gut bucket greasy" funk factor is not there.

I remember clips floating around of a TOP gig where Dennis was filling-in that were just Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

TOP's cd "Souled Out" has been in my car for 15 years. Herman Mathews plays drums on it and the whole album is so pocketfull. Grooves are not as intricate as Dave's but that music takes me by the b****!

I think it's been discussed here a while ago but there's something about the pocket of fat black guys that is soooooo deep! Dennis, Pretty Purdie, Herman Mathews, Abe Jr,...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Interesting... To me, the left can be busy between the down beat yet it can still be in the pocket IMHO... DG does not always play pocket patterns but to me, I feel a pocket in this instance...

Are you saying that DG has no pocket or that his pocket is shallow yet Herman Mathews is deep? Just so I know where you're coming from... I know white drummers that play in the pocket... Jeff Porcaro is one example... But you're right, black drummers seem to have it down in their DNA more often than none...
perksworks

Postby perksworks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I agree that there's energy and drive in this clip, but pocket.....ummm...
Something doesn't sit here IMO. Sounds like it's coming from his foot hi-hat playing which is too on top and his ghost notes which are too audible.

I'm not taking anything from DG and respect his innovations and intricate grooves, but I don't consider him like a extra great pocket player. The "gut bucket greasy" funk factor is not there.

I remember clips floating around of a TOP gig where Dennis was filling-in that were just Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

TOP's cd "Souled Out" has been in my car for 15 years. Herman Mathews plays drums on it and the whole album is so pocketfull. Grooves are not as intricate as Dave's but that music takes me by the b****!

I think it's been discussed here a while ago but there's something about the pocket of fat black guys that is soooooo deep! Dennis, Pretty Purdie, Herman Mathews, Abe Jr,...

hmmmm yeah um, that's a pretty weird thing to say. Fat black male equals pocket.... I've heard some seriously non grooving people who fit that physical discription. Maybe they can play because they can play.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm

I don't say DG has no pocket, it's just less deep to my ear that let's say DC if we want to compare.

Pocket to me has a lot to do backbeat placement.

Of course fat black doesn't necessarily equals pocket. There are countless exceptions on each side. It's just something I thought I had noticed...I may be totally off...
DNA? It'd be cool is someone found the groove gene :P .
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:37 am

Old thread I know...

Posted on TOP facebook page...

Official Tower of Power Band
David Garibaldi is taking some time off and is currently recuperating from hip replacement surgery.

"We wish DG a speedy recovery. He'll be back, because it has been determined that his hipness cannot be replaced. While DG rehabs, Russ McKinnon and Herman Matthews will be covering for him. Get well soon!"

Let´s left the What is hip jokes aside... Get well soon, David! ;)

Return to “Drumming Chat”