Drori Method in jazz drumming

deseipel

Drori Method in jazz drumming

Postby deseipel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:35 pm

one of the better jazz instructional videos I've seen, in terms of learning independence.

Clint Hopkins

Re: Drori Method in jazz drumming

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 pm

The guy who came up with the method has a website: http://www.drorimondlak.com/html/slideshow.php

Joe Morello wrote an article based on the exercises in Modern Drummer in the November '89 issue with Jonathan Mover on the cover.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:29 pm

That was pretty cool. Thanks!
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 am

Pretty cool!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm

cool but that guy needs some new breed work.
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

I like the exercise...

Andrew, can you tell me what that means? I know it's a book, but what does it primarily deal with and how would it change this guy's playing?
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 am

At least in the way that New Breed was presented to me, it is all about painstakingly meticulous precision. The goal when playing the exercises in the book is to have a perfect balance between your limbs, to have your limbs line up perfectly, and to completely 100% bury the click (or as much as is humanly possible). I evoke New Breed here because the guy's hihat is way disconnected from the rest of his limbs (hitting at a separate point in time than his hands/right foot) and his hands and feet in general need some work in terms of continuity. That being said, in jazz there's typically more artistic license in terms of the degree of precision (both time-wise and interdependence wise), but i think in this case his jazz interdependence could use some tightening up.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 am

Honestly...it feels weird to me watching jazz exercise videos like this one (even if the exercises are great)...it doesn't swing...a consistent pulse and a great feel should always be the unconscious lesson, no matter how complicated the exercises are.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 am

amoergosum wrote:Honestly...it feels weird to me watching jazz exercise videos like this one (even if the exercises are great)...it doesn't swing...a consistent pulse and a great feel should always be the unconscious lesson, no matter how complicated the exercises are.

I agree... I'm sure in the long run, something like this could really help with developing some comping ideas, but why teach a "jazz" concept if you can't swing?
Got Blushda?
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:16 pm

there's a ton of exercises that I'd call useless for the same reasons (dare I bring up Chapin's book?). Part of the journey is finding what works, what sounds good,and what can be mashed together to create something new.

if it bothers you cuz it doesn't swing, I'd suggest a different ostinato. perhaps straight eighths to start out.

Return to “Drumming Chat”