Vinnie Live 2010

Rodge

Re: Vinnie Live 2010

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 am

And Rodge is crying now...

Just BEAUTIFUL, thanks for this treasure, man, shit... :o

PS : somebody has to say to Lionel Loueke to stop playing that guitar part he does on "Actual Proof", what bad taste...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Holy fuck does anyone have the number of a good rape counselor?

JEE-ZUS.

Best. Quote. Ever.

And, wow. What can be said about that performance. Simply other-worldly.

The facility aside, (anyone can learn that, or at least get near it) where does he think up this stuff? What must his brain be thinking to see such landscapes and ideas when he's playing? Where lies his foresight?

Amazing...

MP
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Mark P wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:Holy fuck does anyone have the number of a good rape counselor?

JEE-ZUS.

Best. Quote. Ever.

And, wow. What can be said about that performance. Simply other-worldly.

The facility aside, (anyone can learn that, or at least get near it) where does he think up this stuff? What must his brain be thinking to see such landscapes and ideas when he's playing? Where lies his foresight?

Amazing...

MP

Yeah, anyone can learn that...if they start at an early age and do focused practice 24/7 for decades and are never discouraged and take their sticks to the bathroom and to bed and on road trips in the car, banging on walls in hotel rooms with a totally OBSESSIVE attitude towards improving.... :mrgreen:

As far as how he thinks up this stuff..combination of intense listening to and analyzing Tony Williams, Steve Gadd, Billy Cobham, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, etc. for years and years, then studying with Gary Chaffee at about 20 years of age, then getting into Frank Zappa's band at 22 and not shying away from ANY challenge Frank throws your way (and this is Frank Zappa we're talking about).

Now, get yourself thrown into every musical situation conceivable, almost non-stop (no, pretty much non-stop) for over 30 years AFTER playing with Zappa, and many of the most talented, unique artists there are....and you just might be Vinnie Colaiuta! Oh, and don't forget to practice! :D

Seriously, when I think about Vinnie, I just think he has a lot of inherent gifts, BUT he chose to develop them and never STOP developing them, in every which way possible. That's the key.

Drums and music are his passion, his life. He started early and has never looked back. Vinnie is just a very musically mature individual, and developing that maturity was put ahead of everything else.

I'm a believer in free will. We all have gifts and talents, but it's up to us to take them as far as possible (if we really want to). Vinnie has taken them as far as anyone has on the drums. Not everyone has the attitude, the fortitude, the willpower, and the discipline to do that. Not everyone takes the time to develop that. Combine that with opportunities and being PREPARED for those opportunities, and taking advantage of them...well, I think you'd be on your way, and so would I!
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

.. It was the Zappa.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am

JEE-ZUS.

Haha!...best comment of the year so far...:)
Rene

Postby Rene » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 am

these drums sound great ... ;-).
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 am

I gotta be honest, I love Vinnie, but I struggle to listen to Herbie's and Beck's tunes anymore, they annoy the heck out of me.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

I caught Herbie & co in Chicago late last summer. Actual Proof was smokin' but not like this...Holy Crap!!!

I really loved that concert. I saw Vinnie do EVERYTHING that Vinnie does. From stuff like that clip to some of the most creative, tasteful, understated stuff like only Vin can do...quietly supportive that still drives with the same intensity...AND everything in between.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 am

For those oy you in the LA area, Herbie is playing this Saturday at the Disney Hall with Shorter, Holland and a certain Vinny...
http://www.herbiehancock.com/home.php#tour.php
I was planning to attend but hell I can't :cry:!
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm

[quote][/The facility aside, (anyone can learn that, or at least get near it) where does he think up this stuff? What must his brain be thinking to see such landscapes and ideas when he's playing? Where lies his foresight?

quote]

"CAN ANYONE LEARN THAT", you say ????

You must be joking. The list you made about practicing 24/7, Berklee,
Zappa, yrs of playing experience. WRONG !!

He didn't learn to think like that from those experiences, because his phrasing is unique to him, as your phrasing is unique to you.

Practicing, studying, listening are only TOOLS he uses to phrase and play his ideas.

No one, you nor I can play like him...we can try to play his ideas, but they will always sound like his ideas being played by someone else.

That's why 'there is only ONE Vinnie.'

Return to “Drumming Chat”