Telescopic beaters?

Manu

Re: Telescopic beaters?

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 am

thats my point, im afraid if i lift the BD they wont touch the ground anymore, I will try it anyways.

What is the common thing to lift a BD?
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 am

20 degrees? Hmm ... this is a shot of an 18" YMCAN BD (using the riser) with a DW9000, and it's slightly forward (3-4 degrees), which is within normal tolerance. An Axis with the Sonor hourglass beater is a bit closer to 90.
beater_angle18.jpg
beater_angle18.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 8634 times

Here's a protractor for 20 degree angle reference:

Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 am

Yeah mine is around 10 to 15 degrees beyond the perfect spot. It really hurts my playing.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 am

Joe, pressure on the front hoop? You probably mean the batter hoop?!

Yam, it's really true that lifting the front projects better. I think having one of the hoops off the carpet helps it...and it also looks better. 8-)

Manu, I've been able to do this on all the kits I've had over the years. Even a small 18" Catalina kick on a riser has long enough spurs/spikes to keep it in place. What's your kick?
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am

I have a 22' Tombo. So what you guys actually use to rise the BD?
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 am

Manu wrote:I have a 22' Tombo. So what you guys actually use to rise the BD?

I think they're referring to raising the front by telescoping the spurs in order to angle the batter head back towards the beater.

I use the included riser with the 18" in the picture. It's a tom mount receiver on the bottom of the drum (same as the tom mount on top) with a steel plate and tube that raises-lowers the BD and provides the clamping surface for the pedal. The hoop is notched to accept the chain/linkage travel space so you don't have .. your problem.
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:38 am

Got you OPG, I will try stuff next time I go to my rehearsal space, I think it's time to end this problem and get the maximum out of my pedals.

I realized this last week when I went to record a drum cover video and struggled with doing average speed 16's on the BD. I have to find a solution because I know I can play faster and I know something with the pedals is keeping me from achieving that.
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Gatzen stated that, when the bass drum is angled as opposed to parallel to the floor, the pedal clamp will put stress on the batter hoop, thus reducing the drum's resonance. And he actually demonstrated that on the video.
Manu, your BD legs should be able to extend a little bit so you can put your BD parallel to the floor. If you still have issues you can always angle it towards you, but I wouldn't recommend that.
I have no problems with any given Yamaha kit and DW pedals. No problems with an old Pearl P110TW either, so maybe you have a solution there.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Manu wrote:Hey!

I've just realized that when I hit my bass drum the beater doesn't hit at a 90 degree angle but it goes a little bit beyond maybe 20 degrees. After my pedal goes beyond the 90 degree angle it get's very tense so basically to reach the bass drum head I do an extra effort. I think this is really slowing me down on my double bass playing, which I use a lot.

I was thinking a good solution would be a longer beater, or a telescopic one for that matter. Currently I use this one.

What you guys think? have any of you had this issue?

ps: Only product i see available are the axis sonic hammers, but reviews say they are crap.

if the problem is that it feels tense, then why not simply loosen the spring tension? That is, unless you want the tension in the spring to be felt 'sooner' in the stroke.

I think some drumming engineers get a little too anal about things. I haven't seen the video mentioned, but I have to think "isn't the bass drum muffled most of the time anyway? HOw could it the clamp affect the resonance when most bass drums have no resonance in a live gig?"

there's almost too many variables in today's bass drum pedals. For example, one could argue that on the Pearl Eliminators you can also adjust where the beater starting position is. this ultimately affects the velocity, acceleration, the list goes on for the other variables. Or I just have no patience anymore.
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Even with the tension loose, after the 90 degree point it get's tense anyways.

I will try the advice they gave me here and report back in these days.

Return to “Drumming Chat”