Telescopic beaters?

Manu

Telescopic beaters?

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 am

Hey!

I've just realized that when I hit my bass drum the beater doesn't hit at a 90 degree angle but it goes a little bit beyond maybe 20 degrees. After my pedal goes beyond the 90 degree angle it get's very tense so basically to reach the bass drum head I do an extra effort. I think this is really slowing me down on my double bass playing, which I use a lot.

I was thinking a good solution would be a longer beater, or a telescopic one for that matter. Currently I use this one.

What you guys think? have any of you had this issue?

ps: Only product i see available are the axis sonic hammers, but reviews say they are crap.
Matus

Re: Telescopic beaters?

Postby Matus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:38 am

It's a common issue but not as much as 20º. Which pedal are you using? Those beaters, if I'm not mistaken are found on low-range Pearls and have little to no weight at all, at least compared to the regular quad-head Pearl beaters. That might me part of the problem.
Also, the beater felt might be worn out. I've had this on DW beaters and it feels awful. I'll check on my 9002s later with different beaters, though, and see what happens, but a little "extra" travel isn't that rare. It all depends on how clever the pedal design is.
As for Axis beaters, they're not bad at all but they're so adjustable you have to be careful. My only problem was actually with the Axis pedal itself...
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 am

Yeah but that little extra travel really gets "tense". I sense that if I could hit at 90 degrees I would have much less trouble doing fast triplets and more than anything keeping fast 16th notes without growing so tired. I think that extra difficulty on every stroke is really slowing me down.

I might try those sonic hammers if there's no other good solution, although people say they are crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwXGBynx-w
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 am

Check this video out from 7:01.
Since I saw this video in the 80s, I've lifted my bass drum. Very efficient.
Now, when I have to play on someone else's kick with the front touching the ground, I feel off.
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am

I also recall Bob Gatzen talking about how that affected the bass drum sound but can't find the video now...
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 am

Affected the sound in a good or bad way?
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 am

Matus wrote:I also recall Bob Gatzen talking about how that affected the bass drum sound but can't find the video now...

I remember that video. He said it puts pressure on the front hoop resulting in a loss of drum resonance.

I have always been interested in the old bent shafts seen in some old Jojo Mayer videos but haven't been able to find them anywhere. I hear what the OP is saying, and I tilt my BD front up until the beaters strike at a 90 degree angle. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some resonance for feel.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 am

Always had the front of my kick's lifted, that just seemed how it should be. It projects the sound better, gets the drum off the floor and of course changes the beater impact a little.

I use the DW beaters - plastic side - with those little weighted collars. On the extra big kick drums (26" and up) I use some extended beaters, Vater and Danmar make beaters with longer shafts to handle the bigger drums.

Manu - What pedals are you using? You may be able to simply adjust the swing angle to be a little more forward. I know this is fairly easy on DW pedals anyway.

You might also try bringing the foot plate angle up a little, this would counter act the "extra" swing in the front.
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 am

Nope, I cannot do anything with the pedal itself, I tried. I have a pearl pedal and an Iron cobra, and have the same issue with both.

What you guys talk about raising the bass drum itself sounds interesting, but how do you do that without having the legs of the BD losing their grip on the floor and thus moving forward?

Thanks for the advice.
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 am

Most bass drum spurs have spikes. Pull them out. Play on a carpet.

Return to “Drumming Chat”