Oak Customs

bored at work

Oak Customs

Postby bored at work » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 am

A few weeks ago (on the old forum) I posted that I had sold my 9000's and had found a good deal on some Oak Customs. Well I picked them up, they were advertised as shop soiled/ex-demo and they certainly had a couple of dents on them, but they seemed OK and I got them for a good price. It turns out that the 12" tom came in separately and was included with the shell pack, it is slightly lighter than the other drums.

Just had my first chance to get them set up today and have a quick play with them. The heads were a mix of different models when I got them, but from what stock I had, I've put clear emperors on the tops with the factory heads on the bottom and the bass drum has the factory Yamaha PS3 on it. I love the sound of the toms, they seem so much more responsive than the 9000's, I've tuned them a little higher than perhaps I've had them in the past, but they have a nice sound. I think in time I'm going to change them to coated ambassadors as I prefer a single ply head.

The bass drum is a strange beast! I've never heard something with so much bottom end, I'm used to something that's a little more punchy. Maybe it's the factory PS3 which isn't as good as a proper PS3. I plan to get a coated PS3 as soon as I can, but the drum is very boomy and it seems like I'm going to have to play with the beater off the head, I much more used to burying it. Any thoughts?

Hopefully, here are some photos that I've uploaded.
Attachments
204.JPG
204.JPG (131.95 KiB) Viewed 7719 times
203.JPG
203.JPG (140.67 KiB) Viewed 7719 times
201.JPG
201.JPG (152.83 KiB) Viewed 7719 times
DSOP

Re: Oak Customs

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:52 am

I did a record a few years back and used a friend's Oak Customs for it. They sounded great. It doesn't look like you've got the Oak snare though. The snare was really nice too.

I would swap out the hoops for die-cast if possible (just because I love the sound and feel of them) but that would be expensive.

I never got the chance to experiment with different heads on them, but I would also try going with a plain clear ambassador on the bass drum.
Paul Rivet

Postby Paul Rivet » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 am

Wow that's a nice looking kit!! holy smokes.
I saw the same kit in a music store in Ottawa and I think I spent 15 minutes just standing in front of it drooling over it...

wow, someday I'd love to own a kit like that!
I'm a wolf in cheap clothing
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 am

I didn't get a snare drum to match, that's my late 80's Pearl Custom Classic. There is a Oak Custom 14 x 5.5 in the same finish near by if I really need to get one quick.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am

DSOP wrote:I never got the chance to experiment with different heads on them, but I would also try going with a plain clear ambassador on the bass drum.

I'd suggest a coated ambassador on the kick... I use one on my Starclassic Birch 22x18 and I've never been happier with my kick sound... tuned wiiiide open with a towel rolled up resting against the batter head.
Got Blushda?
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 am

I had the exact drums you have plus another floor tom.....never should have sold them.....liked them more than the maple customs I have now (which I also love). Have been looking into another set actually only with 20" kick now instead. I would trade my maples for an oak set actually. I used several different heads but the coated ambass. on top and clears on bottom was best to me. PS3's on kick front and back with only felt strips...no other muffling.

Does anyone have experience with a 20" Oak kick??
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Michael Sutton

Postby Michael Sutton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 am

sjj123 wrote:Does anyone have experience with a 20" Oak kick??

I have a set with the 20" kick. It has a lot of presence for a drum of its size. I'm playing it with the factory head right now and no muffling. I tune it just about as low as it will go. I've played the 22" before and couldn't imagine using it without muffling for most situations. With the 20" tuned low, I feel like I can get away without putting anything in it and letting the drum do its thing.

I'd like to check out the 18", just for curiosity's sake.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 am

Michael Sutton wrote:I'd like to check out the 18", just for curiosity's sake.

I used to have an 18 by 14 maple custom absolute and it sounded amazing. I'm sure the oak version would be just as great, if not better.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:42 am

DSOP wrote:
Michael Sutton wrote:I'd like to check out the 18", just for curiosity's sake.

I used to have an 18 by 14 maple custom absolute and it sounded amazing. I'm sure the oak version would be just as great, if not better.

i use an 18 x 15 oak custom kick and yes, sound engineers are always baffled at how HUGE it sounds. doesn't hurt that it comes with a lift as part of the drum.

the first thing that most sound engineers ask is why do those drums sound so 'poppy' or 'throaty'? just has an amazing amount of attack and resonance. i have a 22x17 kick, 18x15 kick, 10, 12, rack; 14 x 14, 16x16 flr tom and a 7x14 snare (all in musashi black). thinking of getting a 13" rack as well. i mainly use these guys when i play live and these puppies just kill.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....

Return to “Drumming Chat”