a wire brushes that don't explode?

Da Chooch

a wire brushes that don't explode?

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am

does anyone know of steel wire brushes that do not explode when played at higher volumes? i've had no such luck w/ vaters and regal tips. i notice that a lot of manufacturers just bunch a lot of wire bristles together then put them in an aluminum tube. just wondering if there are manufacturers that actually bend the bundle of wires in the middle so that it doesn't explode. another problem i'm having is the bending of the stick itself.

i know that it sounds like i need to switch to blastiks and i have but our lead singer notices the difference and was hoping that i would still use them. any insights? thank you very much.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
DSOP

Re: a wire brushes that don't explode?

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Hmmmm.... Bigger sticks, bigger crash cymbals, and now more durable brushes. I'm noticing a trend...
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 pm

DSOP wrote:Hmmmm.... Bigger sticks, bigger crash cymbals, and now more durable brushes. I'm noticing a trend...

hahah - heeeeelllllpppppp!!!!
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:24 pm

what about duct tape. works wonders. i have duct taped brushes and hot rods up. also those long plastic brushes things. brings in the brush bristles a bit. sounds like your hitting pretty hard hoss. also the clayton cameron brushes are very nice. you can tape those up and those should last a while. that's if they still make em.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:07 pm

How are you using your brushes? If you're not incorporating swish, and just want more power, then you could try Flix Rock brushes:

http://www.flixproducts.com/productsbrushes.html

Useless for anything jazzy, but they do sound like brushes being played heavily.

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't...if you hold your brush almost parallel to the head, you can clip it with the bit of the shaft/stick that joins to the wires, as you make a stroke. How good it sounds depends on your brushes, but you get a really solid backbeat - what Louie Bellson used to call the 'bomp' - and it still sounds like a brushes hit. You don't need a lot of force to do this so it will stop your wires from disintegrating.

Return to “Drumming Chat”