WAAAY Off topic-What would you do!!!?

Ghostnoter

WAAAY Off topic-What would you do!!!?

Postby Ghostnoter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:30 am

The band that I'm in was contracted to play a corporate gig in May of this year. I was called by the wife of the keyboard player and asked if I would be available to play the gig. (She is the quasi manager) Yes, no problem. The corporate folks saw a video that I....took the liberty of filming of a live gig we did and they wanted us based on that. The group (trio) got together and rehearsed a bit and ran down some new material for this upcoming gig. We discussed how we were going to get there, how much we would be paid, etc. ($500) I had to be away for a rehearsal or 2 to visit my folks out of state. No problem, we'll pick up when I return.
I JUST found out (Sunday) that the biscuit headed [I'm being REALLY kind] keyboard player wanted to use another drummer for this gig! OUT of the Blue!!! He is NOT a member of the group. I've been the drummer for going on 4 yrs. I had sent suggestions in the form of emails to the other members for new material. NO RESPONSE! (The sax player wasn't happy, because he wanted to bring in a female vocalist. Although, he said that the people only hired the three of us! I told him earlier, when the suggestion to bring in a guitarist friend, that I didn't want to share the money and to keep it a trio) The biscuit head finally decided to call me, after 3 days...(I reemed him out in front of his wife, Sunday! After being notified. I was gracious and calm doing so) He spoke to the Sax player first; stating he was mad at me!? At any rate, I had left a message prior to this announcement (Sat) of the possibility of another gig, I was trying to get for the group and needed some response for either a yay or nay. NOTHING! No response, nada!
After the biscuit head had called, he tried to passify me by saying there will be other gigs and he wanted to create a network of other players, so that he can expand his facility and I could have the chance to do the same!!! [Like he is some guru. I'm older and have been playing longer and I take that as an insult, especially over the period we've been playing, I've suggested many times that he check out so and so or do this lick or progression in a song, etc.) He also, at one point wanted me to help him find a small set of drums, so that "I didn't have to lug my drums to his house!" Right, like I was born yesterday!!! Me and my wife saw through that crap!
At any rate, I am wondering (and posing to anyone who cares to chime in) if I should continue with these clowns or move on? I feel a total lack of professionalism, integrity and loyalty was not displayed. Of course, the money is cool, but I feel that it was a total lack of respect for me and a slap in the face. My first mind is to tell him to stick his keyboard as deep as he can get it and move on...but, on the other hand, keep playing with these flakes until I make the next situation happen...anyone? (I'm not desperate for the possibility of making music/money and the group hasn't played much since the recession-I'm retired, etc)
I'm still fuming, but...
Ghostnoter
cjbdrm

Re: WAAAY Off topic-What would you do!!!?

Postby cjbdrm » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:44 am

I would get used to it. Welcome to the music business. :P

...and I would move on. But unfortunately it will be par for the entire course of your music career 99% of the time.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 am

If you have had the gig the last 4 years i would 100 % move on......
Unless you are not starving and homeless....
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 am

+3

Not an uncommon story either. Prob some lessons to be learned on all sides. Sounds like the lack of a band leader also exasperated the issue. When no single person is in charge, anarchy does tend to rule.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:52 am

Yeah, I'd get out of that gig.

I had a situation this past week- my guitar player was working with a singer who wanted to put together a band for some gigs in Austin and some out of town since his regular band from LA couldn't do the gigs. He was offering us $100 for each gig (I think there was about 8 dates, 45 min-1 hour set each night). This singer guy gives my guitar player a list of the gigs, they get to me, etc. Turns out I was booked on one night and one was too far away.

Great. Keep in mind, the singer guy that's hiring me hasn't even addressed me at all- we haven't even met or talked! Finally, he emailed me the dates which were ALL different from what my guitarist and I discussed AND he said he was using his LA band for all the gigs in town and just wanted us for the gigs outside of Austin (up to 4 hours away). The pay wasn't right for all the travel and it just wasn't worth it so I let my guitar player know... the singer guy didn't even tell him that he had changed the dates or that he was using his other band!

What a sack of shit!

I don't understand how some people can operate like this...
Got Blushda?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 am

I would move on and ditch these guys.

Over longer periods of time I have been in charge of several practice spaces and there
were always guys who never payed on time. There were also guys who always payed on time,
showed up when we had arranged meetings and were 100% professional in all they did.

They are out there. Go find nice people, who go about their business in a professional manner.
All the best,
JM
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 am

Ghostnoter wrote: I was called by the wife of the keyboard player and asked if I would be available to play the gig. (She is the quasi manager) ....

This speed bump broke both struts.

Seriously, if you can sit down and hash it out, then great. You may be able to make a go of it and end up better for it. Or you could walk. Coming from a long line of walkers, I'd advise trying the first option (but with comfortable shoes on).
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 pm

ghostnoter,
This stuff is unfortunately very common. As much as possible, I would still try to be on good terms with everyone. "What goes around, comes around..." and all that.

I played a weekly gig in a good band at an upper scale jazz club. One night, there must have been 20 drummers in the audience who wanted to sit in. What are the chances of 20 drummers showing up to your gig and they all ask to sit in? Well as you may have guessed, the guys in the band (my great friends) put out the word that they were looking for a new drummer. And all these guys were auditioning for my spot. Of course my bandmates never told me about their plan. We had rehearsed about 4 nights a week for 5 weeks to get this gig. I charted out and learned 40 tunes. Needless to say, it was a not a great experience. I was replaced by a friend of mine. I kept on good terms with everyone. The band even asked me to come back and "sub" for my replacement. On one of these sub gigs, I overheard the "leader" tell some young lady, "Doesn't the band sound better tonight? It's because our old drummer is playing the gig!" I just shook my head and walked away.

Years before this, I was with a band that was just offered a recording contract, a tour across the states and a tour across England. We had worked really hard for this. Tons of rehearsals. The "leader" of that band called me out of the blue and said I was fired. This really took me by surprise. They brought in their former drummer (another friend of mine). Two weeks latter the band broke up. I received a call about a year later saying that the band was reforming without the former "leader" and they asked if I would be interested in joining them. I said "sure" and we met for a rehearsal. While I was setting up, the guys in the band started talking about the time I quit the band. I said, "What, I didn't quit, I was fired." They said that not what the former "leader" said.

Weird personality things happen in bands, it can be due to great egos coupled with great insecurity. If what you bring to the table is no longer valued, it's a good sign that it's time to move on...and what follows can be a really nice improvement in your situation.

All the best,

Andy
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 pm

The main problem with being a musician is that you have to work with musicians.
Robert Schwieger

Postby Robert Schwieger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm

The main problem with being a musician is that you have to work with musicians.

Classic!

Nice one DSOP. Funny stories as well Andy.

Return to “Drumming Chat”