old school Sting w/VC

Morgenthaler

Re: old school Sting w/VC

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Still, I've seen nothing come close to that concert in Japan from that same time.
It beats even the Oslo concert, which by many is regarded the best live Vinnie with Sting.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 pm

I agree, live at Miyazaki/Japan, Vinnie is NO JOKE here !!! :o

But that VHS Video Tape was the 1st one, and it was not yet in that internet crazyness...

That Zildjian/Noble And Cooley just kills, so crackin' !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am

Rodge wrote:I agree, live at Miyazaki/Japan, Vinnie is NO JOKE here !!! :o

Indeed. He performed at that concert as if he were an animal unleashed. Colaiuta's playing is even more impressive for the fact that he was still getting over a virus that had prevented him from taking part in Sting's two prior appearances - a gig in Johannesburg, South Africa (where Ian Herman filled in) and the Royal Albert Hall in London, England (Manu Katche' handled the drumming).
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Still, I've seen nothing come close to that concert in Japan from that same time.

Never saw that one.
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 am

baht habit wrote:
Rodge wrote:I agree, live at Miyazaki/Japan, Vinnie is NO JOKE here !!! :o

Indeed. He performed at that concert as if he were an animal unleashed. Colaiuta's playing is even more impressive for the fact that he was still getting over a virus that had prevented him from taking part in Sting's two prior appearances - a gig in Johannesburg, South Africa (where Ian Herman filled in) and the Royal Albert Hall in London, England (Manu Katche' handled the drumming).

I never knew that -interesting stuf, especially, as you say, that Vinnie was on fire: he seemed to be so for most of the live stuff I have from the Ten Summoner's Tales tour of '93-'94, in marked contrast to the Mercury Falling tour which followed in '96-'97. Even a lacklustre Vinnie though, managed to make my jaw drop on the one occasion I saw him on that tour -the November 96 concert in Manchester remains, for me, the benchmark for tasteful playing, incredible drum/cymbal live sound, and a whole raft of evocative songs from a personal point of view.
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Vinnie's performance on that Soul Cages show was incredible!

Far more than what I've seen on the Mercury Falling tour around November 96 also. The band ran onstage and Sting yelled:"1-2-3-4..." but the tune didn't start...Vinnie was not there...
A few seconds later you see Vinnie coming from behind the stage walking nonchalantly with a towel around his neck a cigarette in one hand and beer in the other.
He sits and takes time to install his cigarette on the rim of his last floor tom. Counts off the tune and the show starts. But Vinnie was not into it at all and looked pissed.
He seemed more concerned about how he could smoke and drink while playing. I heard that at the end of this tour he was exhausted.
It was my first time seeing Vinnie play so I was a bit deceived but I guess bad nights happen to everybody.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Rafael Dolinski wrote:
Rodge wrote:And other videos on the related, this concert has been my Bible as much than "Secrets" and Buddy Rich Memorial, enjoy.

Yes. Right after my dad gave me the Zildjian Day 1984 tape, I started to look for a concert with Vinnie, this was the first one I bought, The Soul Cages VHS. I've probably watched this 1000 times, it is too good.

Yep, I also basically lived with the Soul Cages vid...I also recorded the audio on cassette and had it on in the car as my primary listening for well over a year. I learned a lot from this as well as the 40th BD concert...much of the same material but the interpretations are vastly different. This was a very creative group that put a unique stamp on a given tune every time they played it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”