DOUBLE BASSDRUM PEDAL to HIHAT FOOT TRANSFERENCE

Gaddabout

Re: DOUBLE BASSDRUM PEDAL to HIHAT FOOT TRANSFERENCE

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:IMO if you are spending more then $400 you are getting ripped off on a pedal. They all do the same job, and all of them most excellently. If you want to spend the cash, then replace the bearings. My DW5K's just crush anything as far as smoothness goes once I replaced the cheap crap bearings that (ALL) pedals come with. Actually surprises me that all companies use the most cheap generic bearings in their pedals, yet many claim to be the fastest or smoothest on the market. You'd think one of em would strike up a deal with Bone's or something.

Agreed on the price. Personally I LOVE the Yamaha direct drive pedals, but their double pedal doesn't break down into a single pedal. That alone kept me from buying it.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:29 pm

As far as the DW being smooth with new bearings, sure, but the pedal board is too short and heel hinge is too high. I prefer longboard pedals. Axis AL are nice, but the Demon Drive is the best I've played. Old Yamahas had a nice feel for a chain pedal.
And believe it or not, the flying dragon pedals can be used as a single, just unhook the universal extension from the master pedal, bingo.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Gaddabout wrote:I LOVE the Yamaha direct drive pedals, but their double pedal doesn't break down into a single pedal.

Sure it does. You just remove the attaching arm with the universal joints, and then remove the extra beater. How much further do you want to break it down?
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

DSOP wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:I LOVE the Yamaha direct drive pedals, but their double pedal doesn't break down into a single pedal.

Sure it does. You just remove the attaching arm with the universal joints, and then remove the extra beater. How much further do you want to break it down?

The chain drive pedals, yes, but the DD pedal I looked at had the attaching arm permanently attached.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 pm

The best pedal I ever played was the old Yamaha double chain model, the one before Flying Dragon.
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 am

I'm quite happy with the 9000s but just because of the comfort factor. Axis or Trick pedals are theorically faster, better and will even cook you dinner. But I just can't stand the feel and I won't spend months trying to get used to them just because they're supposed to give me 3 extra bpm.
The transition from single to double should be easy if you're used to drive your hihat using all your leg joints. There are so many people who will control the hihat leverage with their whole leg instead of using the ankle, which is where all the transition problems will happen. You need ankle action to have decent accent articulation with your bass drum (single or double) and that's the main thing to have in mind. From there, the bass drum encyclopedia will do wonders for you but you can get there with some common sense and basic coordination principles.
But please, just don't fall on the even-number-linear-phrase dementia. I just can't stand the whole RLRLBB dementia.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 am

heres an independence exercise.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 am

Jim Richman wrote:As far as the DW being smooth with new bearings, sure, but the pedal board is too short and heel hinge is too high.

Depends on which model you are referring.... there is a 5K model that is exactly like the Axis Longboard's for instance, the 5000ADH. I play with roughly half my foot off the board anyway, ala vinnie, weckl, etc so none of that actually matters. Your Axis comes with cheap generic bearings as well, ANY pedal would improve from putting some quality parts in it I'm sure. Funny you say you like the old Yamaha's because they have some of the shortest pedal boards.

This one just slays me every time...

Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:49 am

Juan asked me in email so I figured I'd throw it up here for the 'tubes: Weckl uses Yamaha's DFP-93xx series with the strap drive. Newer model (9500C) will fly, too.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks for all the comments.
This machine is already at home.
350 euros.
Adjusting it now...
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”