Drummers over 6 feet

Chuck Lacy

Drummers over 6 feet

Postby Chuck Lacy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey Hod, got a few questions for my drummers over 6 feet tall... I am 6' 2" and I often find it a challenge to find things that accommodate my size whether it be seats that don't go high enough, or pedal boards are are a little under sized, etc. Any other drummers over 6 feet have these kind of issues?
YamahaPlayer

Re: Drummers over 6 feet

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

I find it the other way around. Shorter people have issues with tom angles, not being able to have them low enough over the kick drum, etc

Always found being taller to the advantage, more room to move, more room to have things, easier to command the kit, long arms and bigger hands give me a leverage advantage over the stick, more contact area on the stick, etc

My foot's a good 1/3 off the foot board anyway so that's never an issue. If you watch most high end players, you'll find this is a fairly common technique. I never understood the toe-to-the-end of the board technique. It just seems very inefficient when looking at the physics of the double lever's in playing the kick (lever 1 is the pedal board, lever 2 is the bottom of your foot).
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm

JR is quite tall afaik...
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Danny Carey is tall. Tony was not all that tall. Bozzio is not all that tall. I used to be 5'10" - pretty average - but have shrunk a bit with age.... Have pretty long arms though and don't have to move much to get around the kit. And the rack toms stick up above the snare but that's never been a problem. What were we talking about? I'm getting tired of in my project at work, I think.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm 6'3". I don't have any issues in regards to drumming. Sometimes I feel like it would be easier if I was smaller, but I think that is just a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side. =)
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm 6'2" and don't really have any issues drumming wise. I always feel like I have fingers that are too short though.
I'm always surprised at how short some of my favorite drummers are in person.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm 6'1" and I think it would be easier if I were shorter. I can't even imagine how Abe Jr. feels. Wouldn't surprise me if he played 2Bs because for his hands, they feel like 5Bs.

I would love to blame my height on lack of coordination: the nerve impulses have farther to travel.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:53 pm

You can be tall and have a short torso and arms. You can be short and have long legs. I'm 5-11 but I have a short man's inseam -- 28 inches. Very long torso. I've always felt awkward behind the kit because I need to sit lower for my legs, but my upper body needs some height for my arms to reach everything. I end up playing in a hyper-compact position that I'm not sure is all that conducive to great playing.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Ask Tommy Campbell.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 am

deseipel wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if he played 2Bs because for his hands, they feel like 5Bs.

I play with 2B's, Tony used huge sticks, quite a few guys play with beefier sticks. Personally I've grown to really love the tone from the bigger stick, when ever I use something smaller it just sounds so thin to me.

Having larger hands though is probably a major factor in things...

Return to “Drumming Chat”