WTF Vinnie from the Chaka DVD (UNSEEN FOOTAGE)

JohnDrum

Re: WTF Vinnie from the Chaka DVD (UNSEEN FOOTAGE)

Postby JohnDrum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:55 am

Patrick Tiglao wrote:Has anyone been able to view the vid via the links I sent?? Let me know so I cos if the youtube thing doesnt work then I dont have many other options for sharing...suggestions are welcome..I wont send out any more links until I know if this works or not..sorry for the delay

I have already sent an mp4 on request to several HOD members, with a couple of request for peeps' emails still outstanding so i can send it to them, but I guess if the YT link works, ???
still, the offer's always there if anyone wants the mp4?
;)
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:15 am

Worked perfectly for me Patrick, thanks a lot!
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
JeremyNZ

Postby JeremyNZ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 am

Yip worked for me too Patrick, many thanks!
Every vid of Vinnie I've seen never ceases to astound me but this one knocked me for six.
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:35 am

JeremyNZ wrote:Yip worked for me too Patrick, many thanks!
Every vid of Vinnie I've seen never ceases to astound me but this one knocked me for six.

Indeed,

It's even better than some Zappa footages. I could leave note at his guestbook, mentioning this one as my fav Vinnie perfomance (so far) :D
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:01 pm

The first time I saw that kit, Vinnie was using them for Randy Waldman's record release party for Wigged Out at the Borders Bookstore in West LA back in 97 or 98. I was floored by the tone of the kit as well as the burnt orange finish.... Vinnie was very talkative that day and gave me the lowdown on the color, sizes, etc. I saved a few bucks and had Stan at Pro Drum Shop order me up a kit. I ordered different depths and mounted the floor toms on legs but the color is almost spot on. The kit took 9 months to get directly from Gretsch, and then I had to send the 12" back because it was completely out of round. That was another 3 or so months... I had the edges re-cut by Stan and then again by Lee Smith at Drum Paradise, who at the time was handling all of Vinnie's maintenance and drum cartage. The kit is now 11 years old and has never sounded better... There are not to many videos of Vinnie playing his burnt orange kit, but this video got me inspired to set mine up. I thought I would share the story behind my kit and a few pics:

deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:48 pm

did you have specifically ask for die cast at the time? My kit is roughly from 2001 and it didn't come with die cast hoops. It's a USA Custom
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Just curious, why have the edges cut twice?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:54 pm

deseipel wrote:My kit is roughly from 2001 and it didn't come with die cast hoops. It's a USA Custom

Not possible. All USA Custom drums are outfitted with die-cast hoops standard issue.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm

DSOP wrote:
deseipel wrote:My kit is roughly from 2001 and it didn't come with die cast hoops. It's a USA Custom

Not possible. All USA Custom drums are outfitted with die-cast hoops standard issue.

deseipel's kit is a USA maple from what I can gather from his avatar that i remember... And I think they started with triple-flanged hoops, OGKW. lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Scott, if you scroll back about 10 pages you'll see where I suggested Vinnie's 12" was out of round. I wonder if it's just that shell. Maybe a bad mold?
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”