WTF Vinnie from the Chaka DVD (UNSEEN FOOTAGE)

deseipel

Re: WTF Vinnie from the Chaka DVD (UNSEEN FOOTAGE)

Postby deseipel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:44 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:
DSOP wrote:
deseipel wrote:My kit is roughly from 2001 and it didn't come with die cast hoops. It's a USA Custom

Not possible. All USA Custom drums are outfitted with die-cast hoops standard issue.

deseipel's kit is a USA maple from what I can gather from his avatar that i remember... And I think they started with triple-flanged hoops, OGKW. lol

yes, it's true. I'd gladly accept the die cast hoops from Gretsch if it was a mistake.

EDIT: looks like some internet seraching yeilds that the USA kits came with triple flanged the first year. Still sounds great.

EDIT 2: ok, so my kit appears to be a USA Maple kit, which is the same as a USA custom, except for the triple flanged hoops? weird. hmmm

JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:19 am

It's still a glorious looking kit, and if it sounds anything like it looks????
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:Just curious, why have the edges cut twice?

When the drums were brand new, they were almost impossible to tune... I took them to Stan for the first cut, which they were better but not what I had hoped for. Lee cut them for a second time, and they were much better. It was almost as if the drums had to age before they would sing. 11 years later, they are easy to tune and have resonance they never had before!
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 am

Sorry folks I have to kill the link.I will delete it first thing monday morning so please download it while you can as it will be gone Monday.
There is nothing left to say.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 am

THANKS dooood!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 am

Gaddabout wrote:Scott, if you scroll back about 10 pages you'll see where I suggested Vinnie's 12" was out of round. I wonder if it's just that shell. Maybe a bad mold?

A good buddy of mine was a tech at Drum Paradise and he was adamant all 12" USA Custom drums were a pain in the ass to tune due to the 5 lug configuration coupled with the die cast hoops. I subscribe to this as well... He set up Vinnie's blond kit numerous times and said the 12" always gave him problems. When I sent mine back, the drum was definitely out of round due to delaming of the plies. You would think for that much money and time to get a drum set you would not have to worry about flaws like this! I was on the brink of selling those drums on more than one occasion. Since Kaman has taken the helm things have changed for the better. Not to mention, they use Keller shells now.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 am

I concur that my 12" is a bear to tune, even with different hoops. I'm don't think mine has Keller shells, didn't they use their own Jasper Maple back then?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I would say that 12" is hard to tune when you play with 10" before, but if you play with just 12" as rack tom, or 12" and 13", I think that it's great.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Rodge wrote:I would say that 12" is hard to tune when you play with 10" before, but if you play with just 12" as rack tom, or 12" and 13", I think that it's great.

I have 12 and 13 toms with a 14 floor, and I have no problems.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

I have a tom of 12", and no problem too, and I'm a Gretsch endorser... ;-)

I want to play the more possible 12" and 13" as rack toms (shallow), but it's hard to get it now, 10" is all over now...
Last edited by Rodge on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”