DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Rhythmatist

Re: DAVE WECKL - Recent activity & Videos

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Waited over a year for "Convergence." Two days after it arrived I got the new DW Acoustic Band CD...I've been waiting for it since I saw the teaser several months back on YT...actually, been waiting for Dave to put this band together since seeing a couple boots of Makoto Ozone playing with Dave and Tom with Mike Stern...Makoto even gives thanks to MS on the liner notes for making that happen. IMO...best album Dave ever recorded. Love the extremely organic sound of his kit and the writing and playing are stellar all around. I think even the Dave haters will like this one...
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:Waited over a year for "Convergence." Two days after it arrived I got the new DW Acoustic Band CD...I've been waiting for it since I saw the teaser several months back on YT...actually, been waiting for Dave to put this band together since seeing a couple boots of Makoto Ozone playing with Dave and Tom with Mike Stern...Makoto even gives thanks to MS on the liner notes for making that happen. IMO...best album Dave ever recorded. Love the extremely organic sound of his kit and the writing and playing are stellar all around. I think even the Dave haters will like this one...

Agreed. This is one awesome CD. And seeing this band live? Probably the best Dave Weckl Band ever. And the best playing by Weckl. And Tom Kennedy is a maniac on electric/upright. Makoto is the best pianist I think Dave has recorded with as well.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm

This band hitting Japan these days...
New tendency in stage lighting.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Cool Noy clips. That first vid it looked like a sound check. Seems like a pretty easy gig for Dave. Looks way released. Almost to the point of needing a nap. Small stage for a fusion jazz gig. Only the 10 and no 12 inch tom. He doesn't need it anymore. He's evolved.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 pm

I'd like to purchase some of these albums...and I'm into buying music, but...15.50 for a download and with no sound samples. Doesn't really seem wise, IMO...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

Looks like he's got the second rack tom mounted as a floor tom:

Wonder if it was too deep of a drum for it to be placed in a comfortable spot, so he just said 'sod it' and mounted it to his right...
Got Blushda?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 pm

I know this is a few decades old but wow. It's been a while since i have revisited it. over 20 years i would guess. I watched all the solos and songs again. His playing is lights out awesome. Execution is amazing. His ideas and solos are jaw dropping. Drums and cymbals sound great also. Lets hope in the days to come someone will surface this influential. Hard cat to follow.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Kurtis wrote:

I know this is a few decades old but wow. It's been a while since i have revisited it. over 20 years i would guess. I watched all the solos and songs again. His playing is lights out awesome. Execution is amazing. His ideas and solos are jaw dropping. Drums and cymbals sound great also. Lets hope in the days to come someone will surface this influential. Hard cat to follow.

I'm more of a fan of his sound from this period than any other...he obviously prefers his current sound. lol One thing has always bugged me about that clip though...somewhere he says something that he's going to talk about the extension/height of the bass drum beater, and then never does...haha
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:31 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I honestly think Dennis was directly referring to Weckl in that video...Although, I am a Weckl fan...

Return to “Drumming Chat”