Socal Venue questions

Patrick Tiglao

Socal Venue questions

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey guys,
I joined this band earlier this year..Well 3 East Coast tours later and we are finally gonna hit the West Coast....I was wondering if any of you know about a place in LA called Molly Malone's and a place in San Diego named Gallaghers's.....I would appreciate any info about these places that you can share if any..ie size,acoustics,type of crowd,etc etc.....it would help my preparation...

Thanks HOD again!!
There is nothing left to say.
Lucas Ives

Re: Socal Venue questions

Postby Lucas Ives » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:45 am

I've played Molly Malone's -- it's a small room but their sound crew was on it, I was very comfortable with the mix onstage. Attached to a semi-divey pub, but the listening room is entirely separate so the folks in there are generally there for the music. Sit down @ tables.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am

played molly malones a few times. cool hang on fairfax. decent stage size. back stage is a bit of a mess. small room to play for. it's a restaurant also. the bakery right next to it has great natural grub. it's a vibe where you have 3 to 4 acts. lots of wanna be female singers flock the place. that was 4 years ago. place might have changed since.
Brett Borba

Postby Brett Borba » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 am

I've played Gallagher's Pub in Ocean Beach. Same place? It's a small Irish pub about 100 ft off the beach. The acoustics are pretty decent for the layout. Sort of a long-hall with the stage in the corner. The PA we used was solid if memory serves. Usually a great vibe and good crowds at happy hour and Thrs-Sun. There are lots of cheap eats, bars and other live music venues on Newport Ave, so it's a real fun area to hang after you play.

When will you be playing there?
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Brett Borba wrote:I've played Gallagher's Pub in Ocean Beach. Same place? It's a small Irish pub about 100 ft off the beach. The acoustics are pretty decent for the layout. Sort of a long-hall with the stage in the corner. The PA we used was solid if memory serves. Usually a great vibe and good crowds at happy hour and Thrs-Sun. There are lots of cheap eats, bars and other live music venues on Newport Ave, so it's a real fun area to hang after you play.

When will you be playing there?

Um I'm flying in November 3rd,a Wednesday and we play that night...

Kurtis wrote: lots of wanna be female singers flock the place. that was 4 years ago. place might have changed since.

Female Singers...I hope it hasnt changed..haha..

Thanks folks....
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 am

Played Molly Malone's a month or so ago. It's a cool venue. Sound guy (I forget his name) really knows his stuff. They have a Mapex house kit that sounds, well, like a house kit. Have fun!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:38 am

Tom Reschke wrote:Played Molly Malone's a month or so ago. It's a cool venue. Sound guy (I forget his name) really knows his stuff. They have a Mapex house kit that sounds, well, like a house kit. Have fun!

Thanks Tom (Bomb)!!

Do you remember what condition the drumheads were in when you played them??

What kind of band did you play with there?
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:42 pm

The heads weren't dented or anything, just well worn. I was playing with a rock band and hitting fairly hard (for that room). We recorded a board mix I think, I'll see if I can find it.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am

Tom Reschke wrote:The heads weren't dented or anything, just well worn. I was playing with a rock band and hitting fairly hard (for that room). We recorded a board mix I think, I'll see if I can find it.

Well I'm not picky about the kit ..It saves me from having to rent a kit for a night..I'll be happy with what I get and I'll be able to make the necessary adjustments if need be..

Thanks again.

Return to “Drumming Chat”