Mark G - what the heck is going on?

deseipel

Mark G - what the heck is going on?

Postby deseipel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

skip to about 1:54 and listen to this jacked-up groove that he's doing. ???????????????

sounds like for one downbeat & the next back beat, he does this magical thing where you think he's going into another feel, like some off kilter 6/8 thing, but only for two beats. jacked.

Andrew<3'sVinnie

Re: Mark G - what the heck is going on?

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I discovered this vid a couple weeks back, and I've been hooked. It's some of the most bizarre music I have listened to, but it's mesmerizing.

That is a sick groove, but I am not getting a 6/8 vibe. I think he is just displacing the groove to oddly placed 16th notes.
Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Hey deseipel,

I hear him displacing the second backbeat to the "e" of beat 4 with a bass drum on the "a" of 4.

I am also probably missing some subtlety by listening through my iPhone speaker, but that seems to ve the basic vibe.

Let me know if you want to see it writften out...

T
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Terry, you meant bass drum on "a" of 3, right (agree snare is on "e" of 4)? If so, that is what I am hearing as well.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:44 pm

He's displacing a 16th note, and then returning to the regular time. However you want to look at it. He's playing a 16th note "jolt" if you will. The accent on the hats help the illusion of the displacement. The body language is also a helpful indicator.

Terry, where's your magical(Yes, MAGICAL) transcription skills?!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:28 pm

What's sort of clever and unusual about this displacement is he does it in the second bar of that section and then it comes every third bar after that. It's why he ends up filling in the awkward middle of the 8th bar to repeat the section. I think most of us who've studied displacement expect a two-bar resolution, and maybe even a two-bar, over-the-bar expression, like the Stubblefield stuff. Techno has sort of reinforced that expectation. This is Guiliana once again recognizing a cliche, doing the math, and throwing a curveball. I kept listening for signs of imposing 4 over 6/8 because the 3-bar pattern, but he clearly states the quarter on the hi-hat and you get a full 16 bars in that signature.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:57 am

Feels like a Bruford beat.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:51 pm

It sounds like he is messing up the song. It's an anti-musical drum part to make people forget who is singing in the band. The way the song was going, a simple rock beat would have worked.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Jim Richman wrote:It sounds like he is messing up the song. It's an anti-musical drum part to make people forget who is singing in the band. The way the song was going, a simple rock beat would have worked.

In your opinion.

And I highly doubt your opinion is accurate to interpreting the intention behind the part in question.

That's a very slippery slope you tread, as that reasoning can easily be applied to every instrument being played.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:47 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:
Jim Richman wrote:It sounds like he is messing up the song. It's an anti-musical drum part to make people forget who is singing in the band. The way the song was going, a simple rock beat would have worked.

In your opinion.

And I highly doubt your opinion is accurate to interpreting the intention behind the part in question.

That's a very slippery slope you tread, as that reasoning can easily be applied to every instrument being played.
In your opinion.
I highly doubt that your opinion is accurate in interpreting what I say, as it's my opinion. And I like it better than yours.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”