That one album...

Julián Fernández

That one album...

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey guys!

The more and more I play with advanced jazz players, the more I feel the need to embrace the history of the genre more and more...
Today I was going through different tuning possibilities, trying to get close to some of the masters´ tuning, and thought that it could be a good idea to make a list of the albums that represents their style the most... Tuning, phrasing, comping, ride articulation, etc, etc.

Here´s a couple of ideas... Would like to hear yours...

Early Tony: Four and More
Mature Tony (like he wasn´t mature before! ha): Believe it
Elvin: Speak No Evil
Roy: Now he sings...
Jimmy Cobb: Kind of Blue
Philly Joe: Cookin´
Max: Drums unlimited.

I´m not talking about the albums you like the most, but the albums that represents his legacy at his best... C´mon, speak! :mrgreen:
bensdrums

Re: That one album...

Postby bensdrums » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:33 pm

For Roy, I've got to go with When It Haynes It Roars and Out of the Afternoon.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 pm

The more you play with advanced jazzers, the less likely they're going to be influenced by albums where the drummer is the bandleader. My experience suggests this is the overwhelming reality. The lone exception seems to be Blakey, whose groups maintain their authority among purists.

With Max Roach, I think you need to go with Charlie Parker or Clifford Brown. Kind of Blue is a ballads album. Definitely consider Nefertiti for Tony. Jimmy Cobb with Wes Montgomery. Go check out Elvin with Larry Young on Unity. Al Foster with Joe Henderson.

That's a lot of history and style difference. I'd focus on one at a time. Roach and Philly Joe ... cop their stuff and you will make a purist smile.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:27 am

Tony is at his bombest taste wise on filles de kilimanjaro.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 am

For Philly Joe, I've always thought his performance on Milestones was a classic and definitive drum statement.

I agree that drummers as bandleaders albums are not the best. I much prefer them in a supportive role. Like my favourite Weckl moments are not on his solo albums but with Camilo/Corea/Khan.
That applies to Art too IMO. I never really liked the Jazz Messengers but his performance on Monk's Music is classic stylish bop.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am

Gaddabout wrote:The more you play with advanced jazzers, the less likely they're going to be influenced by albums where the drummer is the bandleader. My experience suggests this is the overwhelming reality. The lone exception seems to be Blakey, whose groups maintain their authority among purists.

This... it's still a tough sell these days.
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”