Dream Theater

S.P

Re: Dream Theater

Postby S.P » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 am

Sejuba, good analysis except I think Thomas could bring things to the gig as well....hard to tell from the short amount of actual playing footage they showed.

Good luck with that exam, only HOD and all this drumming stuff is keeping me alive whilst I'm doing my dissertation!
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 am

Interesting to see Lang isn't playing Trad
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 am

can't believe i am saying this but from the few seconds of music they've showed us, I thought Lang sounded the best. virgil had the best "riff reaction" tryout so far though.

thus far virgil and lang are the most impressive to me. marco had good energy but i didn't hear anything interesting about his playing. i liked how virgil and lang infused their own personality into the music to make it fresh and add a little more complexity/nuance to the drumming.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 am

I really enjoyed episode 2! So far my favorite audition so far is Virgil. I really like his unique approach.

Steve you hit the nail on the head with your last post in this thread. Its obvious that DT want/need a drummer that is going to play all the existing material exactly like MP did. I wish they picked Virgil and went in a new creative direction though.

I was really impressed with Marco and Thomas' auditions. That was really cool to watch. I've heard such great things about Thomas around Guitar Center here in Hollywood. Some of the guys I work with said when he comes by he is really chill and down to earth. Super friendly and fun.

Can't wait to see episode 3. I really hope they announce who it is officially at the end of the 3rd episode. I'm sure that is the idea, but if they leave it a mystery after that I'm going to start getting annoyed! lol
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

Well, after all this...
I think players who didn´t use the 8" tom, made a "mistake".
Derek Roddy and Lang are some steps below the others.

In my opinion, some Virgil´s (and Lang´s too, I think) tom fills weren´t well listened, because of the "excesive" speed of the fills. I enjoyed Mangini´s fills more...

I want to see the result.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 pm

All of these guys bring something different, that's for sure. I do like Roddy's personality (he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but then, so do all of these guys). Marco was perhaps the most fun one to watch. It's interesting, I'll say that much. I haven't listened to DT in many years. Who knows, this could even inspire me to pull out those DT albums and give 'em a spin for old time's sake.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:12 pm

In this day and age of countless thrash reality shows, it's about time they do something on drummers! And this one is well done IMO.

I watched the 2 episodes and found it very entertaining. Also respectful for MP.
We get a chance to see how the greats audition.

The bias for Mangini is pretty obvious. He got the most footage and best sound. Or maybe it's a ruse to surprise us with someone else...
They seem like in their slippers playing with him. The band sound shouldn't change much with him. And the kids would love the fact that he's the WFD.

Roddy only looked at ease playing blast beats.

Lang played well but I don't think he would fit personality wise.

I agree that Virgil would be overkill for them. Although the band is rythmically more complex than average, Virg is miles ahead.
I feel that the guys play at the highest level they can. Virg would be restrained.

Marco was like a kid in a candy shop having, how can I say...too much fun. For having seen DT live a couple of times, they're all colon pipes on stage.
A more intense looking guy could fit more. Or maybe they'll feel rejoiced with Marco and start smiling!

Let's wait and see...
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:49 pm

I hate to see such a shitty band degrade such amazing talent. That said, Virgil, to me brings a whole spiritual thing to his groove that DT just doesn't get or complement well. He sounds too good for them. :)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Watched the second one. I've seen Roddy's solo videos and he has some ridonkulous chops. He's one of those guys I think that hasn't figured out how to bring that to his music and especially off the top of his head. From what I saw DT did not see the best of Roddy. Dude also has kind of a weird frustration with his own success as the super-niche blast beat. He quit his last band by announcing there's no money in that kind of music and he was tired of being a one-trick pony. He certainly has the facility to do a lot more, but he just hasn't worked it all out in his head and ears yet, I think.

Somehow Marco was appealing to me, circus act and all. There's something about SEEING him play over just hearing him play that makes him more appealing. I've found previous stuff I've heard him on dry as toast -- nothing truly spiritual about his playing. But he was first guy I've heard in these two videos lay down a rock groove with some conviction on the riffs part of the audition. I was like ... finally. The other guys were trying to hard to play something unique, but I think they just wanted to hear someone lay it down.

I wonder how many drummers turned down an audition. Like ... did they invite Vinnie and he threw the invite in the trash? Questions that will never be answered ...
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote: the band is rythmically more complex than average, Virg is miles ahead.I feel that the guys play at the highest level they can. Virg would be restrained.

Marco was like a kid in a candy shop having, how can I say...too much fun. For having seen DT live a couple of times, they're all colon pipes on stage.
A more intense looking guy could fit more. Or maybe they'll feel rejoiced with Marco and start smiling!

Let's wait and see...

Return to “Drumming Chat”