Dream Theater

YamahaPlayer

Re: Dream Theater

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 am

Rodge wrote:So guys, it is a big deal to play for DT ? Mike is happy, I'm happy for him, but I did not thought that playing for DT would be such a big deal, but I'm not really into prog band too, and I know that this kind of music, they have A LOT OF fans, it's almost like a sect.

So I guess that playing for DT means a lot of money ?

Anyway, it was entertaining. :)

Indeed, 10 million albums sold world wide, huge sold out concerts. I think they are more popular outside of the U.S., but none the less - a HUGE pay boost from Berklee I'm sure. Not to mention all the high profile advertisements, endorsements, I'm sure you can expect a cover interview in MD soon enough, etc
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:12 am

I would've thought being a 'professor' at Berklee would pay more.
Thunderboy

Postby Thunderboy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:13 am

Lang is on tour with Stork currently btw.

Choice of prog bands? Maybe he's matured beyond prog and doesn't really have his heart in it anymore.

OT: Why is prog still defined as 'complex rhythms'? the mindset that complexity makes it progressive is dumb. Diesel engines are extremely complex, but I wouldn't call them progressive. Most of it sounds like bad 80s Metal in a compositional context. Prog needs to grow up. Someone enlighten me.[/quote]

haha. well, i think porcupine tree does a good job of it, if you're into that kind of musics.[/quote]

I'd agree with that, they do a very good job. They're the exception. Those guys have a depth to their songs. It's not just straight up and down.[/quote]

Yeah Porcupine is the real deal, good musical material and Gavin is really right for the band, creative and dynamic and making odd meters sound really smooth and nice.
Don't get me wrong Thomas Lang is a monster drummer technically but I never heard him add something to the music like Virgil does or like Gavin.

And I listened to some songs with Stork that Thomas is touring with, but I'm not surprised to hear that the song material is really a "show of chops", even more so than DT. But if Thomas is happy in the band then it's good for him, he seems like a really nice guy.

Way to go Mangini, I think he's the best choice for DT, he can do both things DT wants: to copy MPs playing if he must AND grasp any odd meter, groupings and note values those guys will ever throw at him..... :)
----------------------------------------
I'm a Vinnie-tarian all the way...
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks YamahaPlayer, with that angle it sounds indeed like a good move for Mike, and for DT too as Mike Mangini is so beyond MP.

What think the die hard DT's fan ? Somebody has to see on the MP/DT's forum !!! (not me... :D )
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:23 am

This was very entertaining to me to say the least. I'm not really a Dream Theater fan but I found these auditions to be really interesting. It was cool to see all these world class drummers in a situation where they weren't as comfortable as usual. We could see that some were a better fit than others. And with that in mind, I really do think that Mangini was the best for that situation. I'll be curious to hear what they'll offer with him on the drums.
S.P

Postby S.P » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am

Yeah big congratulations to Mike!

Rodge, DT have sold over 10 million records and will go on to sell a few million more at least if they keep making music at this rate so I'm guessing that Mike Mangini is gonna be able to get a nest egg going!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am

Rodge wrote:Thanks YamahaPlayer, with that angle it sounds indeed like a good move for Mike, and for DT too as Mike Mangini is so beyond MP.

What think the die hard DT's fan ? Somebody has to see on the MP/DT's forum !!! (not me... :D )

Rodge, there is a mix. Some still struggle to get over the fact that MP has left, but I think most understand and will support the band going forward. I think the majority were rooting for Mangini, but there was interest in all of the drummers selected.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 am

And big applause for the non-selected drummers... They were fantastic on the video, playing and explaining their experience, with no fear to make the "You´re not the selected drummer" public.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 am

Juan Expósito wrote:And big applause for the non-selected drummers... They were fantastic on the video, playing and explaining their experience, with no fear to make the "You´re not the selected drummer" public.

Yes, I love them all.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 am

CONGRATS MIKE! now you won't have to do those WFD deals and actually start making music again. great to see you back on top. loved this thread. very entertaining and insightful. i wasn't much of a MM fan before but am now :)

**sidenote - surprised that Dicenso didn't get an invite.**
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....

Return to “Drumming Chat”