Dream Theater

Frank Sanchez

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:06 am

That. Was. Really fun! I loved watching that, even though I too am not a DT or MP fan. Something that was said really held true for me and encapsulated the musical experience: Finding a home. Finding a fit. Belonging. That is what it's all about. And you can tell that Mangini, by his response, was the true fit for this band. His gratitude and exuberance showed just how vested he is and committed to the band that he will be.

At the same time, BRAVO to the other guys. I found new respect for Lang and Minneman especially, both of whom played above what I thought they would and the guy from Brazil (Aquiles?) who made the trip through all that adversity to get there. Just getting there, just being invited and getting there and doing great. You gotta respect that, no matter what you think of the genre.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 am

drummerworld wishes MM a big congratulations: http://drummerworld.com/
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 am

I know nothing about the music business. I'm curious for those who can give an educated guess what does something like this mean for Mike financially. Would he receive weekly pay or monthly. Are things like health insurance included? How much could he make in a year?
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 am

very well put together. i was looking forward to friday just to see part 3. what a joy to see the big heavy weights audition. didn't know a thing about the band or what they looked like besides MP. mike is a great fit for the band. loved his reaction to getting the gig. it's a pretty big gig in the drumming community, i think. mike really wanted the gig. they should have shown the reactions of the other guys not getting the gig. kind of curious to hear what the new material is going to sound like. would like to see them live now. but only if it's front row or backstage. :mrgreen:
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 am

sjj123 wrote:I know nothing about the music business. I'm curious for those who can give an educated guess what does something like this mean for Mike financially. Would he receive weekly pay or monthly. Are things like health insurance included? How much could he make in a year?

Haha I don't think they have health insurance, that would be funny though! Pretty hard to say the specific's of how that kind of situation pays. It's a substantial amount I'm sure based on how the rest of DT lives, their gear, support systems, etc

You know Mike said he was looking for a home, and that's prob more valuable to him that the monetary gains. That would be one amazing band to play with, be it you like the music or not.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am

sjj123 wrote:I know nothing about the music business. I'm curious for those who can give an educated guess what does something like this mean for Mike financially. Would he receive weekly pay or monthly. Are things like health insurance included? How much could he make in a year?

...do you remember this clip here...:) >>>

Robert Trujillo and Bass Auditions for Metallica:

Start at 7:22:
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:37 am

I can't blame Mangini for his reaction. If I got that call from, say, Sting, I'd probably react the same. But all the same, I couldn't help but think of Mangini as The Nutty Professor in that moment.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am

Hahaha so true!!
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

it depends upon how DT is setup as a business. if they make him part of the band legally and contracturally, then moving fwd, he'll get a percentage of publishing, royalties, profits from merch, etc (depends on a lot of factors). If he's just a hired gun (worst case scenario) on paper, then he'll probably only get paid for studio work and touring (he could still get a salary though). I highly doubt that's the case. Since they put up this production, I'm betting he's a member of the band in legal terms and is (moving fwd) entitled to monies from income sources, best case scenario is 20% ? This is all based on what I've read in 'All You Need to Know about the Music Business'. it all hinges upon how the group is setup on paper, as a partnership, corporation, etc. There's almost too many variables and no way to figure out a figure.

Again, I'm surprised he gave up the Berklee gig. It's more stable imo

As a somewhat large business that DT is, it wouldn't surprise me if they had health insurance.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:58 am

I don't think a Berklee professor makes as much as you think, I would be surprised if they made 50k/year. Plus, it seems like he could always go back to that as well (prof's at music schools often leave and return for music reasons). Not like Mike doesn't have OTHER gigs as well, the guy prob could pick up any number of high end gigs at whim.

DT has a cult like following, I'd say that's about as stable a "gig" as could exist. Those guys will never have to get day jobs.

Return to “Drumming Chat”