Dream Theater

Steve Michaud

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue May 03, 2011 6:38 am

Gaddabout wrote:Why didn't Steve Michaud get an audition?! Steve?

Hi Matt,

Funny you mention Dream Theatre. When Dicenso was leaving the Jon Finn Group (another sort of Dream Theatre-ish group), John Finn gave me a call to play with them. One of Dave's last gigs with Finn was opening up for Dream Theatre, and John asked me to come down and hang with them. I couldn't make it, however, due to some scheduling conflict (I can't remember what).

I was really unfamiliar with Dream Theatre until a student brought in a tape of some of their instrumentals that he wanted transcribed. I would take half the hour transcribing Portnoy's parts, and the second half teaching the parts. I liked some of the instrumentals ("Stream of Consciousness" comes to mind), but felt a bit out of touch with the more "metalish" aspects of their music across the board. I also prefer a small kit (without double bass), so I don't know that I would have been the greatest fit. I definitely prefer Fusion for the dynamics (ghost notes that you can hear!), improv, and the jazzier melodies and harmonies--though I've occasionally played outside of my preferences for the experience.

I think it's unusual, however, that a prog band like that can have a strong following like that--it's certainly good exposure for the drummer who can land the gig.

Thanks for the vote!

Steve Michaud
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 pm

If Steve Michaud was the drummer for DT I would definitely pick up the new album and see them live. How cool would that be. Steve would tear a new a hole in their music. Need more steve Michaud recordings. Monster player.

If Todd S was free from stix he would have made a great addition also.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue May 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Steve Michaud wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:Why didn't Steve Michaud get an audition?! Steve?

Hi Matt,

Funny you mention Dream Theatre. When Dicenso was leaving the Jon Finn Group (another sort of Dream Theatre-ish group), John Finn gave me a call to play with them. One of Dave's last gigs with Finn was opening up for Dream Theatre, and John asked me to come down and hang with them. I couldn't make it, however, due to some scheduling conflict (I can't remember what).

I was really unfamiliar with Dream Theatre until a student brought in a tape of some of their instrumentals that he wanted transcribed. I would take half the hour transcribing Portnoy's parts, and the second half teaching the parts. I liked some of the instrumentals ("Stream of Consciousness" comes to mind), but felt a bit out of touch with the more "metalish" aspects of their music across the board. I also prefer a small kit (without double bass), so I don't know that I would have been the greatest fit. I definitely prefer Fusion for the dynamics (ghost notes that you can hear!), improv, and the jazzier melodies and harmonies--though I've occasionally played outside of my preferences for the experience.

I think it's unusual, however, that a prog band like that can have a strong following like that--it's certainly good exposure for the drummer who can land the gig.

Thanks for the vote!

Steve Michaud

I was of course kidding, Steve. You in that band would be like hanging a Monet in the hallway of a house in the 'burbs. Great story and background, though! Thanks for sharing
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Thu May 05, 2011 3:53 am

http://www.moderndrummer.com/modern-drummer-blogs/Mike%20Mangini%20of%20Dream%20Theater/
Mangini interview with Modern Drummer. Talks about his monster new set up. Four bass drums?!? Crazy.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu May 05, 2011 8:36 am

Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 am

FOR ALL IT'S WORTH??? :lol:
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am

A typical DT drummer fan´s nightmare:

He goes to the FIRST SHOW OF THE NEXT BIG TOUR.
The drumset of this image is the only drumset on the stage in the first bars of the show...
The kid and the audience thinking "Ja, He will be bring his monster kit as a surprise right away with an awesome platform... "
2 hours later, the concert finishes...and this drumset was the only percussion instrument on the stage... :lol:

Last edited by Juan Expósito on Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu May 05, 2011 11:57 am

They should have had part of the audition on that thing^^
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 am

langmick

Postby langmick » Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 pm

In 2009, I was literally lying on the floor of my garage, completely physically and emotionally drained, unsure where my career was going. I was inventing new techniques and new drumset configurations, but I was looking at my kit, saying: Who can I play with that would allow me to use everything I’ve worked so hard to develop?

Even though I continued to perform clinics, I was feeling that I had been left out of a lot of things in the drumming community, and I couldn’t understand why.

Return to “Drumming Chat”