Dream Theater

markie04drum

Re: Dream Theater

Postby markie04drum » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Haha! I went to the page and saw the same thing and had to tell myself, "Wait a second. What am I doing? I don't like them and I don't care" :lol:
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm getting squat. Another sandy vag?
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 pm

You can always 'unlike' the band after liking them.

EDIT: It appears the April 21st date was merely to promote the documentary. I guess we're not going to know until they tour.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/21/dream-theater/

Unfortunate sentence structure alert:

... testing out seven potential drummers to fill Portnoy’s stool.

I think I would ignore that call. But that's just me.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Here's another link to the video for anyone who's interested. I'm curious as to who'll make the cut. As much as I love Virgil, Lang, Mangini, and all of those guys, part of me is rooting for Derek Roddy. These cats can play though, there's no doubt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWWkV2bKg0
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:39 pm

I've certainly admitted myself to be a both a fan of the band and a fan of Portnoy- simply in terms of influence at a young age and where my research going backwards would take me....

...however, I find that there's really no way that the band, the label, and even Portnoy aren't involved all in this. Think about it- the drummers in question for the position know what they're getting themselves into. For us as fans or spectators it's a question of following the story. The remaining members of the band simply seem to be wanting to fill the void at this time... it's really only a matter of time before they figure out that the chemistry can't be bought/auditioned. Love em or hate em, the guys in the band (including Portnoy) had a relationship going back for years, musically and as a family... that's a rare thing these days and I really hope that Portnoy finds himself back at his throne (no pun intended) where the guy belongs- doing what he does best, playing the music he plays best, and being the band leader that he fits the mold for so well...

Just my two cents.

Still, I'm fairly stoked to hear what a different drummer with do with the band; believe me. But even with all the musical possibilities, even as a "longtime fan", it's still hard for me to imagine Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy....
Got Blushda?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Wow the production level of that video tells you all you need to know...

They are milking the HELL out of this situation.

It's almost de ja vu from when Metallica did there "search" for a bassist. Even down to the conference call from the studio...
S.P

Postby S.P » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Here's another version that hasn't been copyright removed yet.

I can't believe Mike left DT, he was one of my earliest drumming influences and checking him out led to me discovering other great drummers. I was way behind the news on that one and only found out when I saw that video. Since like he said, he wanted to take a break and not leave the band, I am sure that in the future he will re-join them! It will be very interesting to see who gets the job (I'm intrigued about seeing Thomas Lang in this sort of setting) but I can't imagine DT being the same without Mike!
Noise Picker

Postby Noise Picker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 pm

The more you look at it the more it looks like a stunt.

I think Bobby Jarzombek would have been fit for this stool, but apparently he wasn't auditioned (if any of this is real).
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:They are milking the HELL out of this situation.

Though I have no interest in the band or their music, they're definitely making the most of the situation and will probably get tons more press because of it.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 pm

True dat!

I would if I had to make the payments on my mansion....

"(if any of this is real)"

Bingo.

Return to “Drumming Chat”