Dream Theater

Gaddabout

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Derek Roddy has ridiculous chops but, dang, I can't imagine him being in that band.

I admit if Virg got the gig, I'd buy that CD. And I've never been a DT fan before. Never been a Virg fan before. But for some reason that combination interests me.
Last edited by Gaddabout on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Can someone just spoil it please, do we know who the guy is yet..for sure?

no don't know yet for sure.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 pm

aren´t there going to be videos with the other drummers?
S.P

Postby S.P » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:13 pm

There will be, apparently this will be a 3 part series.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 pm

someone should post a poll on who they think will get the gig. that would be fun.

i bet they pick Mike.
S.P

Postby S.P » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I have a friend who didn't get it.
And according to comments on YouTube and Facebook, neither did Minnemann, Lang or Roddy.

Mangini has been getting new drumsets (as in plural) + quit his gig at Berklee. Everything points at him.
I think he would/will do a great job. He's a monster. I don't care that much for the music, but I gotta say, when a friend
auditioned, I kinda got interested somehow. These videos though are a bit like a reality show. Apparently Minnemann spoke out
against this on his Facebook page (heresay, I haven't read it).
S.P

Postby S.P » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:21 pm

So I take it that all those guys were in it to get the gig and not just for the sake of making a TV show/Documentary? Interesting as it doesn't seem like DT wouldn't really need to hold such formal auditions right? I mean all these guys are pretty famous, everybody knows how they play so I thought maybe those whole thing was just for some publicity with all the other drummers knowing from the outset that they weren't going to get it.

I mean of the caliber of Virg, Lang and the rest of them I'd like to believe that I wouldn't accept being auditioned like that for everyone to see. The dough must have been pretty good...
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm sure it was a difficult decision for all the DT guys. But at the last minute Mike broke into one his samba grooves and swung them all into bad health. Rest is history.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:28 am

S.P wrote:So I take it that all those guys were in it to get the gig and not just for the sake of making a TV show/Documentary? Interesting as it doesn't seem like DT wouldn't really need to hold such formal auditions right? I mean all these guys are pretty famous, everybody knows how they play so I thought maybe those whole thing was just for some publicity with all the other drummers knowing from the outset that they weren't going to get it.

I mean of the caliber of Virg, Lang and the rest of them I'd like to believe that I wouldn't accept being auditioned like that for everyone to see. The dough must have been pretty good...

I take it they actually needed to audition at least more than one person. One would think they owe to themselves to audition at least 4 or 5 different drummers to see if there's something to be offered by anyone else. There were obvious "friendly" calls like Peter Wildoer or Mike Mangini who, besides their ability, were there because of their past collaborations with JLB, but the rest were very different high profile players, each one with his own strength.
My point is, even if your first thought is "let's call Mike Mangini, great guy, great chops, blah blah", I'd bet at least one member of the band said "wait a minute, I've worked with someone who's equally, if not more amazing than that" and from there to calling all the other people it's a very easy step.
I, for one, like this docummentary thing. They auditioned world class players and decided to show everyone they didn't go lightly on the decision. Plus the fact that they're doing it classy enough to make people forget Portnoy's facebook and forum rants.
My money's on Mike Mangini, clearly. And I like the fact that Derek Roddy didn't get the chair. Not that I don't like his playing, he's awesome, but I'd hate DT going even more metal than their current Progtallica songwriting.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito

Return to “Drumming Chat”