Dream Theater

Ardent15

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Ardent15 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 pm

DSOP wrote:These types of bands and drummers can inspire kids to become musicians because they're so over-the-top in so many ways. Hopefully, once these kids play for a few years, their curiosity will lead to them to discover other artists via their own investigation, or via reading about the influences of their "heros".

Very true!
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 pm

DSOP wrote:These types of bands and drummers can inspire kids to become musicians because they're so over-the-top in so many ways. Hopefully, once these kids play for a few years, their curiosity will lead to them to discover other artists via their own investigation, or via reading about the influences of their "heros".

Agreed!

Would you believe that Mike Portnoy actually opened the door for me discovering Weckl and Chick Corea? Yeah, I'll Fed-Ex you a dollar if you can connect those dots....

It is good that bands like DT exist, especially for youngsters. It gives you a way to feel cool and like an individual when you are listening to a band that none of your friends have heard of. Perhaps it is the first step in them branching out and realizing that there is music out there that isn't spoon-fed via the media, etc. Granted, DT has become gimicky over the last... well... since about 1994. Nevertheless, they may serve as a stepping-stone for some (though, they are a stumbling block, or tar pit, for many fans that never move past them) to move onto bigger and more interesting things.

Let's be honest, would you rather have your kid listening to DT or Katy Perry?
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 am

littlegrooves wrote: Let's be honest, would you rather have your kid listening to DT or Katy Perry?

What's wrong with listening to both?
:)
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:12 am

JohnDrum wrote:
littlegrooves wrote: Let's be honest, would you rather have your kid listening to DT or Katy Perry?

Katy Perry's boobs and Mike Portgini's 8 bass drums can't exist in the same dimension... your iPod will almost certainly run out of battery-life :shock:

_
Last edited by littlegrooves on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

littlegrooves wrote:
JohnDrum wrote:

Katy Perry's boobs and Mike Portgini's 8 bass drums can't exist in the same dimension... your iPod will almost certainly run out of battery-life :shock:

:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am

littlegrooves wrote:
JohnDrum wrote:

I guess this thread is a good example of the chaos theory...:)
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 am

littlegrooves wrote:

Agreed!

Would you believe that Mike Portnoy actually opened the door for me discovering Weckl and Chick Corea? Yeah, I'll Fed-Ex you a dollar if you can connect those dots....

It is good that bands like DT exist, especially for youngsters. It gives you a way to feel cool and like an individual when you are listening to a band that none of your friends have heard of. Perhaps it is the first step in them branching out and realizing that there is music out there that isn't spoon-fed via the media, etc. Granted, DT has become gimicky over the last... well... since about 1994. Nevertheless, they may serve as a stepping-stone for some (though, they are a stumbling block, or tar pit, for many fans that never move past them) to move onto bigger and more interesting things.

Let's be honest, would you rather have your kid listening to DT or Katy Perry?

It's funny, because Portnoy had a similar effect on me. I got into Dream Theater through listening to Rush while in High School. A fellow drummer said "if you like that, you'll LOVE this". And he was right. I did. I sorta got away from DT for a long while, but the entire saga that went on with the videos and such got me listening to some of their music again. They're ridiculously over the top, but in a way, that's kinda what I like about them. They don't hide it, and certainly aren't shy about it. They do what they do, and have become very successful doing it. And I respect that about them. Plus, seeing these videos, they seem to be pretty down-to-earth guys, which is absolutely a good thing.
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 am

I'd just like to point the fact that it's ridiculous watching MP fans bash the fact that they're putting out the whole audition proccess on DVD, when HE was the one who took homemade videos of him recording DT albums and sold it on his website as "educational" stuff. Sure, it's a good way of learning how to get tennis elbow / tendonitis.
It's even more ridiculous when you take a look at his god-awful last DVD.
As for Mangini's kit, I actually like it! It's not like the guy's not going to play all of it and he might come up with some cool stuff. I don't see why the "looks are important, this is showbusiness" thing is OK with Virgil or Thomas Lang but not in this case.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 am

Just picked up the latest issue of Drumhead magazine and it features lengthy interview with Mangini about landing the Dream Theater gig. It was a great read and very inspiring. One thing that he made very clear is that he wanted to respect the music and fans by playing the parts the way the fans are used to hearing them. At first I liked the idea of a DT Donati. After reading the article however, I started to envision myself at a DT concert with Mangini on drums (which is going to happen I hope). I WANT to hear those original parts.

Here's a part of the interview where Mike is talking about his approach to the material.

John Petrucci: "We want you to have a metal sound. We're a progressive band, and we're looking for this and this...and we want to see how you play the prexisting drum parts."

Mangini: "And that helped. To me, what he said meant that they want hear Dream Theater, not some new guy's interpretation of it...ulitmately for the fans sake. It makes sense, because I'm a fan of the band too. And, if I was one of the rabid fans that goes and watches them all the time, I would probqably want to hear things exact. I know that feeling: I'm as big a Rush fan as there is. If Neil doesn't play the parts on the record...youknow, you want to hear the fills from "YYZ" and the fills in "Hemispheres," you want to hear that triangle hit. What if he didn't hit the Triangle?"

LOL. I agree.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:49 am

lolol. "what if he didn't hit the triangle?" love it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”