Dream Theater

Gaddabout

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:Mangini: "And that helped. To me, what he said meant that they want hear Dream Theater, not some new guy's interpretation of it...ulitmately for the fans sake. It makes sense, because I'm a fan of the band too. And, if I was one of the rabid fans that goes and watches them all the time, I would probqably want to hear things exact. I know that feeling: I'm as big a Rush fan as there is. If Neil doesn't play the parts on the record...youknow, you want to hear the fills from "YYZ" and the fills in "Hemispheres," you want to hear that triangle hit. What if he didn't hit the Triangle?"

And this is the exact same reason I stopped going to Rush concerts or buying the live albums. If I wanted to hear how it sounded on the record, I'd have stayed home and listened to the record.

I've long lost my affinity for Dave Matthews Band, but I know if I end up going to a concert I'm going to get new versions of a lot of familiar songs. Not all of them are refreshing, some of it is just plain ol' stoner wankery, but in general I know I'm going to hear the musicians try to give new life to songs I've heard a thousand times before.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:57 pm

And this is the exact same reason I stopped going to Rush concerts or buying the live albums. If I wanted to hear how it sounded on the record, I'd have stayed home and listened to the record.

I've long lost my affinity for Dave Matthews Band, but I know if I end up going to a concert I'm going to get new versions of a lot of familiar songs. Not all of them are refreshing, some of it is just plain ol' stoner wankery, but in general I know I'm going to hear the musicians try to give new life to songs I've heard a thousand times before.

I understand where you are coming from but unfortunately the fan base of Dream Theater, by and large would rather hear Mikes parts. Don't forget that people, like us, who are really into drumming, are a very small percentage of said fan base.

These guys kinda know what they are doing.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 am

There's a lot of air drumming happening at DT shows... Mangini's not going to let that die.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 am

i love it when a drummer switches it up live. you have heard the recording plenty of times. why not let the drummer and other musicians play around with the music. lots of times musicians wish they had done this or that after they recorded it. always could have been better or different. perfect time to do that is at live shows. most parts have to stay the same. drummers have lots of room to explore and switch things up. keep it fresh. gavin harrison switches it up all the time. always nice to hear a different phrase in certain passages. neil peart used to switch it up a decade or so ago. just a few phrases here and there. but kept those changed phrases the entire tour.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 am

"What if he didn't hit the Triangle?"

i thought it was a crotale!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 am

for the dream theater paycheck, id play whatever they wanted.
S.P

Postby S.P » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am

Very true about bands like DT opening doors and beginning paths into other music...hell, it happened with me: Travis Barker----->Mike Portnoy---->Everyone else.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Dave is one the few guys I like to hear on a "monster" kit. Dave, you´re AWESOME!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:13 pm

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/dream-t ... m-in-full/

There are a few sites out there that are streaming the entire album. Sounds really good. Snare sounds triggered. Really low heavy sound. Not a fan. After a bunch of listens I'm sure it won't matter. Some nice orchestra string sections going on. Will have to pick this album up.
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 pm

I really like his playing on this album (some CRAZY fills as expected), but that snare sound.... Ugh... In general, that drum sound... Ugh.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

Return to “Drumming Chat”