Dream Theater

Matus

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Matus » Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 am

Mike Terrana is pretty good, but I yet have to hear something from him that really turns me on. I mean, he's good on those Axel Rudi Pell albums and Rage isn't bad either, but it's more of the same stuff over and over. Terry Bozzio-like licks, same heavy metal approach, etc. And his "classical" stuff is so cheesy it's not even funny.
Bobby Jarzombek would've been an awesome pick. He's just ridiculously smooth.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

Matus wrote:Bobby Jarzombek would've been an awesome pick. He's just ridiculously smooth.

langmick

Postby langmick » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

They shoulda got this guy.

Ah, a better shot.

Some out there shit.

Rick Colaluca. Crazy drummer.
gideon

Postby gideon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 am

I do not understand what is impressive with the last guy at all. How many teenagers today can pull that stuff off, MANY! Terrana is good but amazing, I do not see it at all. He is a known Virgil, Minneman wannabee and he is not them, but I can see the fact that he has been trying to emulate some of what those 2 do but he is not in their league not even close. Bobby is a real good metal drummer, but when you break down what he is doing is it really THAT good or technically impressive. He is a busy drummer and is precise, I sure would not call him smooth or fluid but more precise but rigid. A better version of Portnoy, sorry that is what I see. Oh he can lead left hand and hit cymbals behind him without looking, great.

I am glad Virg did not get the gig, he is WAY too much for that band.
He does eat that stuff for lunch, and it is elementary for him. He was doing that stuff in his twenties. For him it would of been about the dough and that is it because they were NOT going his way of thinking or playing. He is off the charts compared to the rest of the band.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 am

gideon wrote:Bobby is a real good metal drummer, but when you break down what he is doing is it really THAT good or technically impressive. He is a busy drummer and is precise, I sure would not call him smooth or fluid but more precise but rigid. A better version of Portnoy, sorry that is what I see. Oh he can lead left hand and hit cymbals behind him without looking, great.

Bobby is THAT good and technically impressive :mrgreen:

cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Gaddabout wrote:While we're (still) at it naming drummers who would've killed the DT gig, I have to throw in Mike Teranna's name. I've never been a headbanger, but if I were, I would want to be Mike Teranna. The dude is a freakin' MONSTER. He even makes the stick twirling kind of bad ass. But he also is just a freak of nature behind the kit with a great groove. Somehow. Disappointed he had to move to Germany (or wherever) to get noticed.

Certainly has an interesting dichotomy going there with the extreme metal double bass and the high-pitched snare, toms, and cymbals...
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed May 25, 2011 9:59 pm

cjbdrm wrote:Certainly has an interesting dichotomy going there with the extreme metal double bass and the high-pitched snare, toms, and cymbals...

Mike can do the straight fusion thing -- most of his own recordings reflect his love of it. But it's hard, IMO, to have that facility and also play metal with a lot of conviction, which I think Mike does because his heart is into both. Sort of rare. I also think Mike has a terrific feel for a guy of his talents, but I guess that's just a subjective observation.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 am

Last edited by Old Pit Guy on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon May 30, 2011 8:15 am

I'm surprised, after reading his interview in the latest Drumhead, that Mangini didn't ask the fans what kind of kit he should play with DT.

Return to “Drumming Chat”