Jeff Porcaro: isolated "Beat It" track

Lucas Ives

Re: Jeff Porcaro: isolated "Beat It" track

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 am

mikebxb wrote:thanks terry! looks right to me. I haven ran "amazing slow downer" yet to see if were missing a doubled kick with the L crash at end.. but i bet , once again your right.

Hey Mike,

Audacity will give you access to the same algorithms used by that Amazing Slow Downer program, but without the $50 price tag ... Plus a lot of other ways to manipulate audio waveforms.
Rhythmatist

Re: Jeff Porcaro: isolated "Beat It" track

Postby Rhythmatist » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:I hear ya' Rodge. When I PLAY or PERFORM, I HAVE TO (and prefer to) think in a MUCH less analystic way (more "animal" as I think you put it.) However, when I REALLY want to learn about something, or when I really want to convey (teach about) an idea or concept, I have found that that "animal" approach usually doesn't work. Years ago I really wasn't able to turn either side off, and it cost me some gigs (too analytical,) and some teaching opportunities (not verbal or analytical enough.) Now through some heightened "self awareness," I have found a few "internal triggers" that allow me to turn either side off or on, and relate to the musicians around me in the way that suits THEM!!!! This has also allowed me to absorb (and play) music (and play and relate to other musicians) in either a very "right brained," or a very "left brained" way, depending on the company I am keeping. Strangely enough, I have met Quincy a few times and had some nice talks with him, and he is sort of the same way. (NOTE, I am not in any way comparing myself to Quincy Jones!!!!! But I did learn a lot from talking to him.) However, the best stuff is still felt by both sides simutaneously, but MORE importantly by the heart and the soul. Dig?

You can't un-ring the bell,
Mark

I can relate. I have a friend who only plays with "learned" players...good readers, well-trained musicians. He can't see how I'm able to play with self-taught, non-readers. They may not use the same terminology so I have to communicate in a different manner. I certainly do not think less of someone because they don't speak that language. They still have fantastic ears, great technique and ideas and play from the heart. I've learned to switch off the side of me that holds the MA in Music and turn on the garage band musician in me in order toeffectively communicate.

Return to “Drumming Chat”