A few words on time & relating to it...

Rhythmatist

Re: A few words on time & relating to it...

Postby Rhythmatist » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:This was profound for me. Thank you for sharing. In my own own effort to develop good time and metronomic consistency I find myself becoming just as critical of the musicians I play with as if I was watching a video of my own drumming. Tempo issues often times can turn into a blame game and I think a healthy amount of discretion is necessary. I like the idea of playing in way that helps rather than creating further issues as you stated.

Now the other side of this coin, in my humble opinion, is that we as musicians collectively should strive for great timing. When everyone is very aware of the time and is all in the same "pocket" together, then that is the ideal. Big bands on the other hand might be a whole diff. beast!

I'm jealous of those smokin' bluegrass bands that lock so tightly without a drummer!
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:
I'm jealous of those smokin' bluegrass bands that lock so tightly without a drummer!

That may get into the tempo + simplicity of rhythm. Example being how it's far harder to groove at 52bpm then 124.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 pm

That may get into the tempo + simplicity of rhythm. Example being how it's far harder to groove at 52bpm then 124.

So true. And that isn't even bringing up the whole nightmare of playing fills (i'll speak for myself). :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”