bstocky

Re: Wood Hoops

Postby bstocky » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am

Yeah, I noticed that one too.
Jean-Paul

Re: Wood Hoops

Postby Jean-Paul » Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 am

Hi,

I have Yamaha wood hoops and keep on changing them back and forth with my die cast hoops which came with my Yamaha MCAN.
Also, I have put Yamaha wood hoops on my Supraphonic 14x6,5 Ludalloy snare. The snare is amazing for some types of music. I
play Blues and it gives me a warm, deep and less attacky sound than snares with metal hoops. Kinda Steve Jordan-ish.

For tom sounds it's basically the same. It rounds out the depth and warmth but you'll loose a little attack. Once again, if you are
looking for that SJ sound, then they'll do the job. I am experimenting with high pitched toms, tune them back low and back and
forth again and can't decide what I like better. But to cut through in an amplified situation I feel lost sometimes anyway. The die
cast hoops seem to project better with lower tuned drums. If I am playing with high pitched drums, I prefer the wood hoops. They
get rid of the high overtones and give me some extra body same as playing with lower tuned drums. Tuning is slightly more difficult.

It's hard, everyone's ears and taste are different, it depends on the acoustics in your room, club or stage and so many other things
around you which you can't control that I sometimes feel lost at all. So I got rid of my 10" and start with 12" nowadays. It gives me
enough power to hear myself even without a monitor system. You don't have to hit as hard and you get a lot of tone.

See if you can find someone who has wood hoops and experiment for a while, or start with putting them on your snare. Fitting
your snare with the top hoop only won't change as much as with wood hoops on both sides, at least IMO. I haven't faced problems with
floortom legs, snare strainers nor dents. A friend of mine bought 15" Yamaha wood hoops and had to cut away some wood for his floor
tom legs, though. Maybe he ordered them wrong for a hanging 15", I don't know. But I do know that there are custom builders who don't
like Yamaha hoops because according to them the wood grain is put in the wrong direction and they are pretty big too if you use a small
setup. Wood hoops in the shape of a normal metal hoop are available as well. I have no experience with them.

Return to “Drumming Chat”