Even more Gergo Borlai

Gaddabout

Re: Even more Gergo Borlai

Postby Gaddabout » Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 pm

IMO, the term "ladder fill" has come to describe any alternating hand-to-foot action. It doesn't have to literally be RH-LF-LH-RF.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 am

I did a video on the ladder called "hand foot rolls" or something WAY back in the day (same time as the Blushda video) but a quick YT search didn't yield anything. =(
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed May 11, 2011 10:40 am

want to see him play different types of music. pop, rock, r&b, funk, latin and so forth. these cats are always playing crazy fusion stuff. there are a few youtube clips of him in a band setting besides fusion and he's incredible. he's very musical. he's got his own thing. be nice to hear him settle down for a few tunes instead of blowing up a building all the time. he brings TNT to every performance. and... i love it.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 am

LOVE it >>>

Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:52 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Well I'm sure you all you guys are the exception!! Jojo Mayer's interview with drum department he talks about the same thing and he is of European origin. :) He also goes on to say Americans can't make fondue. Well I'd rather play jazz...:)

It depends on how much you like fondue :)

But as an European I have to kinda agree with your statement. There are a couple of exceptions though, Han Bennink, John Engels, Bruno Castellucci, Louis Moutin and Jochen Rückert to name a few and then I need to apologize to the ones I forget mainly due to my ingnorence. Main problem is that we don't have a blues tradition in Europe.
Last edited by Jean-Paul on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Postby Matus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:34 am

There are people who can and people who can't play jazz, just like anywhere else. There's a lot of folks you don't really hear about who are doing some amazing stuff in jazz, there's a great scene in Germany or Holland, for instance. Most of it is contemporary but the quality of it depends on if the players have a strong jazz background and have studied their instrument through jazz. Gergo doesn't sound like that, he's got the chops to play it but it sounds un-jazzy at times. Just like when you hear any gospel-ish drummer go at it in a jazz setting. It just doesn't fit. But again, the fact that most of the drummers that are heard about in the US are coming from a rock, funk or any other background but jazz, doesn't mean there are none who can swing like mad.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:16 am

ROFL why is the subject of straight ahead jazz is being brought up when referring to a clearly fusion setting in that tune? You want him to swing over THAT? :D
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 am

this one is really nice

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Insane

Manu

Postby Manu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Insane

Sick :shock:

How you think Gergo would do if he lived in the states?

Return to “Drumming Chat”