Nashville first-call drummers

bigbone

Re: Nashville first-call drummers

Postby bigbone » Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 am

Ardent15 wrote:
Finally, drummers who live in Nashville but aren't really "First-call" drummers there

Billy Ward
Keith Carlock
Bart Elliott

Any names you would add or subtract?

Billy Ward is in NYC
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:58 am

I've recently been entertaining the thought of a move to Nashville. I've talked to several Nashville guys, and they all agree Nashville has a lot happening right now. However, it's less than what was happening 10 years ago with more people trying to find work. There's no doubt that if I could stick with it long enough, I'd get a shot and getting consistent work at the next level...I just don't know if I have the funds and endurance to last however long that may be. Currently, I'm working consistently in cover bands, occasionally a session here and there (as they aren't very frequent since you can make a plumber sound like a good drummer these days), teach about 25 students a week and an occasional original project to get a break from bar covers - absolutely no money in original music. None of it is enough work to make it full time without a day job, but as one Nashville songwriter told me, it's worth something to have consistent work these days. Not sure what to make of it. I'm going in a big circle here - there's no getting to the "next level" where I live. Starting at rock bottom in Nashville is also very tough, especially given the job market. I'd have to work a day job to sustain myself, like I do here. But, a Nashville producer said to me, "why not move here and get the same shit day job here like you have where you are now, at least here, there's that chance"...He has a point.
S.P

Postby S.P » Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 am

Interesting stuff, I think Paul Leim explained the Nashville charting system ni his bit at Modern Drummer Fest 2000. You can check it out on the DVD of that show.
cnath

Postby cnath » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am

When I first got to Nashville and talked to the Musician's Union, they told me only around 5% of the union members made their
living just playing music.. this was about 13 years ago....

I'd say the top guys right now as far as master recording are : Shannon Forrest, Eddie Bayers, Greg Morrow, Chad Cromwell, and Chris McHugh - Pat's right about the 'blurring" of the
studio and live players - For instance, Tommy Harden does a lot of sessions, but also has a road gig with Reba ...same with Chris McHugh -sessions and road gig with Keith Urban .
Figure on a fairly long climb if moving here - I've never gotten the feeling that the powers that be won't let someone new succeed, it's just that there's SO many good to great players already
in line ahead of you , so to speak....

Cnath
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Fri May 13, 2011 11:47 am

Pat-

Is Billy Thomas still around Nashville? Always loved his playing with Vince Gill. Also another favorite of mine is Willie Ornelas but I don't know if he was ever a 'Nashville' guy or not. I know he's worked a lot with Chris Hillman and Jerry Douglas, both those guys have strong ties to Nashville.

I worked with Larry Park, a guitar player from LA that had a lot of Nashville ties and works a lot with Chris Hillman and that's how I got to know the playing of Billy Thomas and Willie Ornelas. Real musical players. I didn't see Chad Cromwell in the OP's list, is he still Nashville-based?

EDIT: sorry cnath, didn't see you mention Chad... oops. Anyhow, love his playing as well.
cbrady

Postby cbrady » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes, Billy is in Nashville. Just got a message from him as he was leaving a session! He does vocal sessions too. Has a great groove and voice.
CB
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

I've heard stories from guys who've had their shots in the Nashville studios. Some where relative success stories. Others were horrors. It definitely can be one of the most demanding jobs as a drummer because of the way producers work and think in that town -- some call it overproducing, but there's really no such thing if the track becomes a hit (then it becomes standard operating procedure!). Just getting the right sound and being able to break down parts individually when asked ... you do it right the first time or you'll probably never get a second time.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:24 am

cnath wrote:When I first got to Nashville and talked to the Musician's Union, they told me only around 5% of the union members made their
living just playing music.. this was about 13 years ago....

I'd say the top guys right now as far as master recording are : Shannon Forrest, Eddie Bayers, Greg Morrow, Chad Cromwell, and Chris McHugh - Pat's right about the 'blurring" of the
studio and live players - For instance, Tommy Harden does a lot of sessions, but also has a road gig with Reba ...same with Chris McHugh -sessions and road gig with Keith Urban .
Figure on a fairly long climb if moving here - I've never gotten the feeling that the powers that be won't let someone new succeed, it's just that there's SO many good to great players already
in line ahead of you , so to speak....

Cnath

Yeah, it can be depressing when you think about it - I'm on the fence - one week I'm all about it (especially after a request for Don't Stop Believing at 130am, or arguing with some singer hard headed "songwriter" trying to be too cute in a song to be "artsy") the next I'm saying to myself, you have it pretty good here - why give that up (like reading these posts)?
patdrums

Postby patdrums » Sat May 14, 2011 11:15 am

I don't think there's any reason to make things black and white and give too much consideration to this stuff if you're trying to decide on making a big move to any of the major music towns. The work situation in Nashville HAS changed alot but people are still working here. If you like what you have and are doing well then THAT should be a consideration for sure. But alot of people come here and end up working steadily even if things don't pan out like they thought they might. I moved here in '97 after a few years as a "big fish in a small pond" in a small market. I just packed up and went for it. I was young, single, had no concrete ties to anywhere and I was ready to see how I'd fare in a big pond. It worked out really good for me and all happened surprisingly fast. I ended up on a gig that I had never even considered as a possibility and it's turned out to be steady employment for 12 years now. I got lucky, sure....but I know piles of guys who came here at the same time and we've ALL been really lucky. Our paths have differed but we're all still working. Jim Riley, Rich Redmond, myself, David Northrup and others all came here in the same position and we've all done just fine. (As a matter of fact, I met Jim on my first day here and he had been here exactly one week longer than me. He was working at a drum shop downtown and was sleeping on a cot in the storage room because he hadn't even found a place to live yet!)
We all used to do the same crap club gigs that you HAVE to do to make the connections. We subbed each other's gigs alot and we threw work at each other when we couldn't do it ourselves. It has worked out pretty good for all of us.

One thing I realized after getting here is that the level of players is WAY higher than I thought at first and I've seen alot of guys come and go who weren't able to be objective about their own abilities BEFORE they arrived. And nowadays there are ALOT of serious world class players here. Alot more than there were when I got here. You have to be honest with yourself and KNOW that you have the skills to compete, the humility to keep slogging ahead when the times get tight and most of all, the right personality and attitude to make people want to call you again and again. Alot of guys come here and find it's a tough climb and even TOUGHER if you aren't able to be cool and maintain the "hang". I know alot of guys here who have great gigs who may not be the greatest players in the world but they are just such damn nice guys to be around that they work constantly. THAT part of it is the single biggest factor here. Plain and simple. Nashville is a relaxed, friendly, southern town and those values are super important in making it here. If you're cool to be around, don't have a bad attitude, can play solid and confident, can keep your world on an even keel and be a pro at all times and can be humble and grateful to be able to play drums for a living-no matter WHAT the gig, you'll be fine. It's as simple as that.

I tell anyone interested in coming here the same thing. There is work to be had. It may not pay much at first but if you keep at it, bigger things will come. And most everyone I know working here will tell you the same thing. You may get lucky like I did and get a decent gig really fast. Or you may have to slog it out for a LONG time before it happens. But if you are ready to tough it out no matter what, it will happen.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat May 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Right on Pat !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”