crash clown

deseipel

crash clown

Postby deseipel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 am

Can we talk crash cymbals? I've had Custom A 16" & 18" for yrs now and here's a revelation I had recently: they're not great for modern rock. In a live sense, they actually seem thin and the decay is a little too fast. I realize they're physically thin, but when played with a heavy rock group, I just don't hear enough beef. It could be that I have no monitor and no overheads. They sound good in other styles to my ears, but I'm starting to think about darker and heavier crashes. I'd love to check out some K crashes. I might even just look for some nice ride cymbals that work as crashes. K Constantinople anyone?

There's so many modern songs that ride the crash cymbal and the ride cymbal has become some weird ornament; it's gone. I dislike riding crash cymbals.
sturla

Re: crash clown

Postby sturla » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 am

Have you checked out the A 21" Sweet Ride for its crash capabilites?

Other than that, I also have gone a bit away from my usual A Custom crashes (18 and 19 inches), and now I favor more regular 18"Armand crashes or an 18" A Meditum Thin Crash which works great for crash-riding abilites. Sometimes I feel the latter one is a bit to loud for my taste, but when recording and such, it sounds just "right".
I also like the K Custom range and have had luck with a more darker crashing effect.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm

deseipel wrote:Can we talk crash cymbals? I've had Custom A 16" & 18" for yrs now and here's a revelation I had recently: they're not great for modern rock. In a live sense, they actually seem thin and the decay is a little too fast. I realize they're physically thin, but when played with a heavy rock group, I just don't hear enough beef. It could be that I have no monitor and no overheads. They sound good in other styles to my ears, but I'm starting to think about darker and heavier crashes. I'd love to check out some K crashes. I might even just look for some nice ride cymbals that work as crashes. K Constantinople anyone?

There's so many modern songs that ride the crash cymbal and the ride cymbal has become some weird ornament; it's gone. I dislike riding crash cymbals.

Well, that's what A Custom Projection Crashes were designed for, and they do deliver with power and body. I used them for years and couldn't find that in any other Zildjian model.
The problem with heavier crashes is that you'll miss some things, like the soft opening or the lower frequencies. I think you might be onto something with the monitoring thing, it always leads to heavier hitting and a wrong perception of what's actually sounding. But a lack of overheads is an issue too, so you might have to consider switching to *slightly* heavier cymbals. I still recommend the Projection model.
Regarding crashable rides, I still have a 20" K Pre Aged Dry Light Ride that worked wonders as a main crash. But it's too much for me, I prefer even thinner cymbals for most gigs.
And man, I've always been an Alex Van Halen fan, so I'm always up for riding crashes :mrgreen:
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:10 pm

The nicest crashes I've seen lately are out of my price range:
JohnC

Postby JohnC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 pm

deseipel wrote: It could be that I have no monitor and no overheads.

I'm having trouble understanding that statement, I would never send the OH's to a monitor mix unless it was for IEM's..... are you micing the kick, snare or toms?
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm

My 20" K Con Medium Thin Low is the best rock crash I've ever played. It's kinda pricy for that purpose. But, it's a beast of a crash cymbal.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm

20" K Dark Ride!!! I use it mainly as a...ride, of course, but it really opens up nicely when playing shoulder crashes. It has just the right decay for that. It doesn't die out quickly like my thin crashes (my preferred sound for most of what I do). I only get into that crash as a ride thing as an emotional decision when it feels right; not because it's the new trendy thing. Probably never more than twice in a month. When I do choose to do that it's usually my 18" A Custom EFX...it's nasty but with some definition...not just that white noise thing. I also prefer thinner cymbals all the way around. They just respond so much quicker. I have an 18" K Dark crash that I keep in my bag for those times when I need the extra oomph. Still on the thinner side but with some beef behind it.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 am

i have changed my setup recently as well. now i use a 22" a-custom ride, 21" a-sweet ride (as my main crash) then i use a 20" k-crash ride for my other crash w/ 14"k-heavy hats. it really complements my oak custom setup (12 rack; 16flr; 22kick). the cool thing is i don't have to really pound on them to compete w/ the electric guitars. using 5B sticks also help. i don't have to work as hard getting volume and the crashes blend wonderfully.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:00 am

Matus wrote:Well, that's what A Custom Projection Crashes were designed for, and they do deliver with power and body. I used them for years and couldn't find that in any other Zildjian model...............

I have to Agree...I used to have a 18"..That thing could cut through alot of stuff..

Matus wrote:And man, I've always been an Alex Van Halen fan, so I'm always up for riding crashes :mrgreen:

Yeah AVH is a def king of crash riding!
There is nothing left to say.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:20 am

Patrick Tiglao wrote:
Matus wrote:Well, that's what A Custom Projection Crashes were designed for, and they do deliver with power and body. I used them for years and couldn't find that in any other Zildjian model...............

I have to Agree...I used to have a 18"..That thing could cut through alot of stuff..

Matus wrote:And man, I've always been an Alex Van Halen fan, so I'm always up for riding crashes :mrgreen:

Yeah AVH is a def king of crash riding!

You can actually hear that exact cymbal in a lot of my recordings. Bought it in 1997-98, if I remember well, and still have it. Cracked a few years ago and i still use it for rehearsals from time to time. If you check out my myspace (link below) you can hear it in acoustic, rock and metal settings. I'm a total fan, had to go for Dark energy crashes to be satisfied after that.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito

Return to “Drumming Chat”