crash clown

DSOP

Re: crash clown

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 am

Da Chooch wrote:i have changed my setup recently as well.

Dude, you will be using 15" hi-hats by this time next year. Mark my words. ;)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 am

What music style you playing da chooch? That's some loud cymbals you be using.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 am

JohnC wrote:
deseipel wrote: It could be that I have no monitor and no overheads.

I'm having trouble understanding that statement, I would never send the OH's to a monitor mix unless it was for IEM's..... are you micing the kick, snare or toms?

I have IEM's yes.

In the last few occasions that I'm thinking of, IEM's weren't an option (soundman/guitarist was doing sound and well, the guitarist was the soundman, :) ) That last statement probably sums up the problem.

I think part of the solution is going to be running my own mix. I have the equip.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 pm

For what it's worth, a few years ago I started using slightly larger crashes: 17", 18", and 19" Dark Energies. I know: I'm a pig for using 3 crashes - but I like them. The bigger sizes seem to have more "there" there.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Phil T. wrote:For what it's worth, a few years ago I started using slightly larger crashes: 17", 18", and 19" Dark Energies. I know: I'm a pig for using 3 crashes - but I like them. The bigger sizes seem to have more "there" there.

Not at all dude, I've recently started using three crashes and can't go back. I mostly use Dark Energies but they cracked (their only downside is they're a bit fragile) and while the replacements come they've lent me some stuff to cover the gap. I'm using a 19" Sig Full Crash that just cuts through everything and a cool 18" Crystal Thin, among others.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Dude, you will be using 15" hi-hats by this time next year. Mark my words.

What music style you playing da chooch? That's some loud cymbals you be using.

DSOP - I've been looking for a pair of 15" new beats or quick beats. :)

Kurtis - I play contemporary christian worship music. I know. It sounds nuts but it is what it is and boy do they like to WROCK IT OUT. we have "showtech" (live production co.) come down every week from dallas to work the sound in the gym and the place get packed out for 4 services - I load in at 7am and leave at 9pm. it's crazy. these folks get after it too. i've been doing this gig for about lil' over 2 years now. love every minute of it.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm

I've always been pleased with the A Custom Projection crashes, I recently went from 16 and 17, to 17 and 18 (17 on left). I'm waiting for the west coast office to re-open so I can go try out some of the recent stuff.
I'm not a fan of riding the crash either, but there are times when the song sounds better with the constant sssshhhhhhh behind it instead of the defined ride ding ding ding ping ping. I always hated when Alex Van Halen elected to use the SSSSSSHHHHHHHH ride method because his ride patterns were so cool when he used the bell (Mean Streets guitar solo, Jump Guitar solo, etc). It does sound better sometimes though, depending on what the song is doing.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Steve Holmes wrote: I always hated when Alex Van Halen elected to use the SSSSSSHHHHHHHH ride method because his ride patterns were so cool when he used the bell (Mean Streets guitar solo, Jump Guitar solo, etc). It does sound better sometimes though, depending on what the song is doing.

that's true Steve. Context is everything. there's ALOT of crash riding in contemporary christian worship music and I think it works rather well. I think it was Mike Bordin who said once (to paraphrase) that when I crash-ride it's like the equivalent to a power chord for guitarists, it's like taking the chorus section to 11 for drummers.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Da Chooch wrote:I've been looking for a pair of 15" new beats or quick beats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zildjian-15-Hi-Hats-Series-New-Beat-Cymbal-Pair-/390159686107
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm

DSOP wrote:
Da Chooch wrote:I've been looking for a pair of 15" new beats or quick beats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zildjian-15-Hi-Hats-Series-New-Beat-Cymbal-Pair-/390159686107

LOL - yur funny DSOP. I'm gonna buy 'em used though. thanks very much! :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”