Letterman Drum Solo Week

MRhet

Letterman Drum Solo Week

Postby MRhet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm

http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/letterman-late-show-drum-solo-week/#more-221528

Band geeks unite: Late Show with David Letterman is kicking off its first ever “Drum Solo Week.”

by Megan Masters

The late-night staple is dedicating a week’s worth of episodes to performances by some of the music industry’s top percussionists, starting with a standout solo on Monday, June 6 from the Late Show‘s very own Anton Fig, the drummer in Paul Shaffer’s band.

The following night, Letterman welcomes Sheila E. and her world renowned skill with the sticks.

On Wednesday, June 8, drum legend Roy Haynes takes the stage, boasting a career filled with Miles Davis and Sarah Vaughn collaborations (to name a few). And rounding out the week is a performance by Rush’s Neil Peart, a drummer who is often regarded as one of rock music’s greatest.

In addition to a week filled with extra musical guests, Letterman will gab with Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, J.J. Abrams’ Super 8), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother, Tony Awards host), Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men), and more TV types.

The Late Show‘s “Drum Solo Week” debuts Monday, June 6 at 11:35/10:35c on CBS.
funkydrummer

Re: Letterman Drum Solo Week

Postby funkydrummer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Cool! I'll have to try and tune in to check these out. Glad to see Roy Haynes on there.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Happy that drumming is getting some mainstream attention.
Disappointed with the lineup.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 pm

yeah, Roy Haynes. pffft. screw that guy. Shiela E? Who let a woman on stage anyway? :p :!
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 am

I'm with Steve on this one. Roy Haynes is the only one of them I actually care to watch perform a solo because the guy can tear a place down with a pair of mallets. The rest is fine but it's more of a "name" thing. I mean, I never cared about Neil Peart's solos, Sheila is good but, really, you can pick a dozen better latin soloists just in the LA area. And Anton Fig, well, he's the show's drummer and that's about it. He might surprise us as a great soloist but that's not really what he's known for.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and I'll be happy with it even if they're bringing Travis Barker, Mike Portnoy, Brann Daylor and Joey Jordison. Just would be happier with a higher profile lineup.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 am

Yea, I liked the lineup better the last time a late night talkshow devoted a week to highlighting drummers.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:18 am

Last edited by Old Pit Guy on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 am

nice! heading back to the good ol days maybe... some drum battles would be awesome.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am

Roy Haynes is past his prime. I saw him with Corea last Newport, and he couldn't swing and his time was terrible.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:27 am

Oh, if it were only this Neil....20 years too late. (30 years too late?)

IIRC< Anton and Jordan used to get solo spots all the time on the old, good Dave show.

Return to “Drumming Chat”