Stick Choice and Rebound

gretsch-o-rama

Stick Choice and Rebound

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 am

Recently I've become perhaps unsatisfied with my stick choice in regards to rebound and inertia. For at least a year I've been obsessed with integrating a rebound "approach" into my playing and until now have been unsuccessful. My problems before were that when I felt I was trying to "embrace" the rebound I would lose a little control and feel. (which are vitally important) So, to me, I was trying to find some middle ground between the "Gruber" approach and perhaps VC, who has said in clinics that he uses a lot of rebound.( and doesn't really hold the sticks close to the middle like what Gruber teaches, and I don't know why he teaches that)

What I've discovered is that by letting the weight of the stick sit in my hand(and as a consequence, relax the hands) the stick rebounds quite naturally and reverberates as well. (all the things Gruber talks about) This might seem weird but If I focus on letting the stick feel as heavy as possible, I can notice no difference between embracing rebound and not using rebound. Not only that, but I notice an overall improvement in sound and feel.

One of the consequences of this new found "approach" is that I'm much more aware of what each different stick feels like, how it responds, and how well it rebounds. I've used the Vinnie Colaiuta stick for almost 7 years and what I like a lot about it is that it has a really aggressive sound(from what I've noticed). However, it does not rebound the most for me of the sticks I currently own. What I've found is that a lot of drum corps sticks have a massive amount of rebound(I'm guessing it's the extra mass) and ironically the original Dave Weckl stick has a lot as well. I'm looking forward to going to the drum shop to try out new sticks to see what I can come up with... Anyway, do you have any ideas on what factors make a stick rebound? Length, taper, tip, and diameter? I think I'm looking for a drum set stick that rebounds a lot and I'm not against any brand, wood, type, etc...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Lucas Ives

Re: Stick Choice and Rebound

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm

The stick needs proportionally more mass toward the front in order to rebound well. Check out Dave's evolution stick when you're next at a store, whether or not the total weight/diameter/bead/finish/etc. are to your liking, you can feel the weight distribution difference from, say, a "normal" Vic 5A/B. Then use that as a reference point.

I haven't tried Jojo's signature stick, but I would imagine it's a similar setup.

I've been using the Vic 5B for years, but I hold it back a bit from the true balance point in order to force more mass up front.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:49 pm

its about the feel you want. the rebound aspect comes from technique. the sticks shape changes its feel, sticks are a personal thing, there's so many out there to pick from.

i personally prefer vic firth 2B wood tip, i like the sound from the acorn tip, which seems to be a bit rare tip wise, but also the tone from the beefier stick. but most importantly how it feels in my hands when i play. go try lots of different ones and find what feels great in your hands.

however i think its important to practice with different size sticks. and particularly im a big proponent of practicing with marching sticks on the pad.

concerning the rebound issues, that's pure technique. the stick itself shouldn't make much of a difference, feel different sure, but as far as the ability to technically execute a given passage, it is all in your hands.
you should strive to use as much rebound as possible, why work harder then you have too?
besides it's impossible to muscle the notes past a particular, and low, tempo anyway.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Josiah wrote:concerning the rebound issues, that's pure technique. the stick itself shouldn't make much of a difference, feel different sure, but as far as the ability to technically execute a given passage, it is all in your hands.

While I agree that your hands should be developed to the point where you can pull off pretty much anything on a pillow, a stick's weight distribution makes a sizable difference in the amount of assist it gives you. Knowing how to harness that to your advantage is a huge part of technique.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:47 pm

great topic. been feeling the same way about the 5B's i have been using the past 16 years. i would like to see a 5B with a rounder tip. would like to see a few versions of the rounder tip just to see what works best. rounder tips would sound and feel better on the ride. sound wise it would be very minimal. feel wise it would be nice to get some love back from the stick. shape does make a pretty big difference on the head of the stick. don't care to much about the width and taper to the head of the stick. when you play so many years developing your hands you can pretty much use any stick. if you want that special stick it's sometimes hard to find. i guess if you want that special stick your gonna have to get really good, get in a group with lots of exposure, be a virtuoso and the stick companies will come a knockin. then you can create your own stick.

go bruins
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:
Josiah wrote:concerning the rebound issues, that's pure technique. the stick itself shouldn't make much of a difference, feel different sure, but as far as the ability to technically execute a given passage, it is all in your hands.

While I agree that your hands should be developed to the point where you can pull off pretty much anything on a pillow, a stick's weight distribution makes a sizable difference in the amount of assist it gives you. Knowing how to harness that to your advantage is a huge part of technique.

true, some like to move a lil different then others. but none the less, sticks a stick. and given the crazy good quality of sticks now a days, it's a safe bet that the stick isn't holding the player back. in my experience the bigger the stick, the more it's like to move. inertia and all that i suppose.

but then buddy used really thin sticks, that were very back heavy...
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:08 pm

For those who like the 5B but would like a round tip and a bit more mass in the front due to a faster taper, try the VF Harvey Mason signatures.

They're perfect, at least for me. Unfortunately they are very expensive here so I use them on and off between crap Goodwoods.

Harvey Mason (SHM)
A versatile stick that covers a wide dynamic range. Round tip produces clean‚ crisp cymbal sounds.
L = 15 7/8" | Dia. = .605"

American Classic® 5B
Tear drop tip. Ideal for rock‚ band and practice.
L = 16" | Dia. = .595"

go canucks
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Have you seen these?
American Sound® 5B
Ideal for rock‚ band and practice.
L = 16 3/16" | Dia. = .595"
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

SD2 Bolero.

That is stick is sick. It's fat in diameter, but not too heavy (maple). It also has an abrupt taper and a nice round bead. It feels meaty without controlling you.

SD2 Bolero
Round tip.
L = 15 3/4" | Dia. = .635"
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:22 pm

i need to get out more. that AS5B looks interesting. thanks!

Return to “Drumming Chat”