Blushda (and apology)

S.P

Re: Blushda (and apology)

Postby S.P » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Tom Reschke wrote:
Josiah wrote:
drumdawg wrote:"Blushda" side note, I have a student (former) who's been working on playing this lick with his feet. Could be interesting to hear if you had multiple kick drums with different tunings. Has anybody else on here tried it with their feet and do you have any recordings?
Peace, Sammy J

ya, though i play just a swiss triplet. i don't think you could actually pull off the diddle in the middle sans being grant collins, virgil, lang, etc

it's actually one of my favorite double bass licks, i must credit Jeff Bowders for showing it to me, he is also the first guy i heard doing this, and other cool stuff.

check out below, the lick clean at 1:04. pretty cool solo all the way around. it's also how he's playing the hihat/kick ostinato in the second half of the solo. jeff's a great guy and a rad player.

First off, that dude's a mothereffer. Secondly, that's not a blushda, it's a herta (or four stroke ruff). Thirdly, this Jeff Bowders can play! Quatro-ly, this thread has finally made me smile!

I don't think Josiah was claiming it was a blushda, I interpreted that as Josiah saying that Jeff Bowders showed the swiss triple with the feet to him, which is the lick he is referring to at 1:04 in the vid. I heard Swiss Triplets with the feet there as well not a four stroke ruff, but the audio is a bit distorted.

Love watching Steve's blushda video, even all of my non-musician/drummer friends know what the blushda is and have seen the video lol
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

S.P wrote:... my non-musician/drummer friends...

lol What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians? A Drummer. :)
Last edited by gretsch-o-rama on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:10 pm

It's alwas nice when the problem becomes it's own solution.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Tom Reschke wrote:First off, that dude's a mothereffer. Secondly, that's not a blushda, it's a herta (or four stroke ruff). Thirdly, this Jeff Bowders can play! Quatro-ly, this thread has finally made me smile!

Jeff is most definitely playing swiss triplets in that video, not a 4 stroke herta. he descends down the toms with the swiss triplets, then repeats the lick twice on his feet.

btw a 4 stroke ruff and a 4 note herta are different. one is 3 triplet notes in front of a note, the other is a single stroked diddle of the first note of a set of 3, also known as the single stroke drag. see notations below

the 4 stroke ruff, http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pag ... rticle.pdf

the 4 stroke herta, http://www.ninjadrummist.com/drum-educa ... /herta-21/

check out jeff's book's pretty cool takes on the double kick
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Josiah wrote:
Tom Reschke wrote:First off, that dude's a mothereffer. Secondly, that's not a blushda, it's a herta (or four stroke ruff). Thirdly, this Jeff Bowders can play! Quatro-ly, this thread has finally made me smile!

Jeff is most definitely playing swiss triplets in that video, not a 4 stroke herta. he descends down the toms with the swiss triplets, then repeats the lick twice on his feet.

btw a 4 stroke ruff and a 4 note herta are different. one is 3 triplet notes in front of a note, the other is a single stroked diddle of the first note of a set of 3, also known as the single stroke drag. see notations below

the 4 stroke ruff, http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pag ... rticle.pdf

the 4 stroke herta, http://www.ninjadrummist.com/drum-educa ... /herta-21/

check out jeff's book's pretty cool takes on the double kick

It definitely sounds like he's playing hertas with a flam on the front with his feet @ 1:07
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:19 pm

swiss triplets, guaranteed. showed me the lick in person.

just tap it out on your desk or such, blap ba da blap ba da etc... triplets with a flam on the front. same as blushda, minus the diddle. different footing, same result.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 am

I don't think Josiah was claiming it was a blushda, I interpreted that as Josiah saying that Jeff Bowders showed the swiss triple with the feet to him, which is the lick he is referring to at 1:04 in the vid. I heard Swiss Triplets with the feet there as well not a four stroke ruff, but the audio is a bit distorted.

Love watching Steve's blushda video, even all of my non-musician/drummer friends know what the blushda is and have seen the video lol[/quote]

Yeah, upon reading what he wrote again, you're right (he's right, too!)
I've listened to it a couple more times and think that why I'm not hearing it right may have to do with how open he's playing the swiss trips with his feet, and how shitty my 20 dollar speakers are. Anyway, it's a really well done solo. Like!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
JayD

Postby JayD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:45 am

Long time member here- occasional poster- I've toured with Jeff Bowders (he's freaking incredible) and I'm also a huge fan of Jeff Indyke, Mike Johnston and Steve Holmes because they are actively showing us how to improve- and honestly? I've learned a ton from each of them through the generosity that is youtube.

I can't see where this turned from a discussion about a rudimental application to an argument! I've been a fan of Jim Riley's recent article in MD where he was discussing the cheese rudiment and its new place in modern drumming....

Discussion is always acceptable to me- baseless stupid attacks are ridiculous. Let's remember we all share the same blood- drums!!!
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 am

Yes, Jeff Bowders is a Monster of a player and a wonderful person. I'm lucky to get to work with him. I actually have to Teach/Sub his double bass classes when he leaves town on tour and every time i do, i get my ass kicked trying to prepare the material. I would recommend his dbl bass drumming books to all drummers, especially none dbl bass guys. His Mirroring concepts forces you to learn balance and control from a 4 limb perspective. After working through his class, my jazz (Hi hat) foot became way more independent and controlled. (along with my dbl bass playing improving)
peace, sjw
S.P

Postby S.P » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:
S.P wrote:... my non-musician/drummer friends...

lol What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians? A Drummer. :)

Haha nice, I meant non-musicians and non-drummers, not that drummers were non-musicians.......I wouldn't want to start a whole "Are drummers musicians?" argument now would I..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:

p.s. Yes I think they are :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”