Blushda (and apology)

dwdrummer

Re: Blushda Alert

Postby dwdrummer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 pm

To the HOD cats, I truly hope that Steve and I can do the rest of this childish crap in person or through email so that you don't have to be a part of it. You guys have a great thing going here and I will stay clear of the forum from now on so that it can remain positive and grow. The post above is just me messing with Steve a bit, nothing to be taken too serious.

Hopefully Steve will take this whole thread down, and everything will be back to normal in your "House"

Peace,
send all hate mail to: drumteacher76@yahoo.com (that's my personal email)
Mike Johnston
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 pm

dwdrummer wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:Suddenly I feel like I'm trying to explain to a kid why "Casblanca" is better than "The Hangover".
Good luck.

Your cute, lol. I do give you huge kudos for what you have done with this forum. Pulling drummers together is a tough thing and you have done an amazing job on a VERY small scale. Even though we don't get along I will always be down to help you out whenever you need it when it comes to marketing and business if you ever want to grow this forum into a real site.

I think there are some great cats on here so I don't want to generalize. The ones that make all the negative noise are the ones that the real drum industry, as in non software programers, call Jedi Knights. You are looked at as trash talking basement dwellers that bear a strong resemblance to Star Wars fans, your picture lets me know that you and the sun don't see much of each other. I hate to break it to you my friend but where I'm the joke of 30 or 40 old school Vinnie lovers, your a joke to thousands of young drummers that will be running your industry very soon. Let me know when you reach millions old man. Until then enjoy your day job, watch Casablanca a few more times and keep talking trash about guys like me who actually took a chance.

I would much rather the world not have to see this childish stuff on a message board so please feel free to delete this after you read it. Or you can always just leave your cell # in a post like I do. But that would mean you would have to actually talk to a human.

Knowing that you'll be up all knight trying to create a witty response to this after you delete my account makes it all worth while :)

What was the point of this post? :|
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow. Just wow. Mike, I've been one of your biggest advocates around here, even though your students constantly raid Steve's YouTube posts and make childish, inane, often woefully uneducated claims. I wrote it off as you just having a very young client base. Kids will be kids. But I assumed you were an adult and you weren't encouraging that kind of behavior.

But based on your interaction here I see a man who's not quite grown up. *slapping forehead* Pride/low self-esteem. Two sides of the same coin, my friend. You've demonstrated both. I'm not condemning you here, but I can't look past you're emotional floundering and obvious wounded ego.

I thought Jim Richman's request was a bit over the top, but a grown up might've just brushed it aside and said the example was a generalization and technique is emphasized in one-on-one studies. I would assume that would be the truth. Instead you feign (?) cloak and dagger stuff? OK. It was weird but I brushed it off. Then Steve cut right to the heart of the issue here and your response made it obvious you come here in some kind of vein attempt to stir up discussion about you.

You make assumptions about the players here ... based on what? Having seen them play in person, Mike, you would realize you're not talking to amateurs with a Vinnie crush. These guys can really play, and some of them, dare I say, far exceed your ability. Perhaps what they've only lacked is your exceptional marketing skills, but they are players of note to be sure.

I write all of this to make public my strong dissatisfaction with your strange behavior here. I'm done defending you. You're on your own.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm quite enjoying this thread.. I liked Mikes video Nice job Mike,.. well done.. Killer playing and Production values all the way..

However,.. I think this thread should be saved permanently turned into sticky at the top of the forum so we, basement dwellers that can't play and don't know anybody in the industry can point out this thread to all The Industry people we don't know,.. Like D.W. Meinl, ect. Showing the awesome job Mike Johnston does reaching out to others, and what a great ambassador he is for their products...
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Last edited by Old Pit Guy on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwdrummer

Postby dwdrummer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Wow. Just wow. Mike, I've been one of your biggest advocates around here, even though your students constantly raid Steve's YouTube posts and make childish, inane, often woefully uneducated claims. I wrote it off as you just having a very young client base. Kids will be kids. But I assumed you were an adult and you weren't encouraging that kind of behavior.
But based on your interaction here I see a man who's not quite grown up. *slapping forehead* Pride/low self-esteem. Two sides of the same coin, my friend. You've demonstrated both. I'm not condemning you here, but I can't look past you're emotional floundering and obvious wounded ego.
I thought Jim Richman's request was a bit over the top, but a grown up might've just brushed it aside and said the example was a generalization and technique is emphasized in one-on-one studies. I would assume that would be the truth. Instead you feign (?) cloak and dagger stuff? OK. It was weird but I brushed it off. Then Steve cut right to the heart of the issue here and your response made it obvious you come here in some kind of vein attempt to stir up discussion about you.
You make assumptions about the players here ... based on what? Having seen them play in person, Mike, you would realize you're not talking to amateurs with a Vinnie crush. These guys can really play, and some of them, dare I say, far exceed your ability. Perhaps what they've only lacked is your exceptional marketing skills, but they are players of note to be sure.
I write all of this to make public my strong dissatisfaction with your strange behavior here. I'm done defending you. You're on your own.

It could have been over, I was just giving Steve a taste of his own medicine. He called me a child (which I fully admit to and love) and I called him an old man. It's awesome how the first thing you do to show me how grown you are is to make fun of Jeff I and post his videos all over your thread. Way to go. Hope that made you feel better.

As far as Jim goes, we had a great talk on the phone. I gave him lifetime access to my site and he's sending me his latest CD. Wait... did two drummers actually communicate through something other than non emotional text? lol. Super cool guy, he said his part, I said mine, we found a ton of common ground and all is good.

Last, why are you defending me in the first place. If there is a message board where you need to defend people for teaching drums and being successful then you might want to find a new forum.
dwdrummer

Postby dwdrummer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:34 pm

chris perra wrote:I'm quite enjoying this thread.. I liked Mikes video Nice job Mike,.. well done.. Killer playing and Production values all the way..

However,.. I think this thread should be saved permanently turned into sticky at the top of the forum so we, basement dwellers that can't play and don't know anybody in the industry can point out this thread to all The Industry people we don't know,.. Like D.W. Meinl, ect. Showing the awesome job Mike Johnston does reaching out to others, and what a great ambassador he is for their products...

Trust me, you guys are not the ones that companies are trying to reach out to. You guys are top level pros that have already made up your mind about the gear your going to play and support. I do my best to be an educator and a positive influence to the young drumming community but when Steve makes it personal you can bet your ass that I am going to stand up for myself. I would much rather take the cat out to lunch and talk about it like adults but that's up to him.

Since this is a public forum I will obviously be sending all of my endorsements letters about what happened here, the large roll that I played in it and how I will be leaving it alone for good.

Peace,
Mike Johnston
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:55 pm

dwdrummer wrote:It could have been over, I was just giving Steve a taste of his own medicine. He called me a child (which I fully admit to and love) and I called him an old man. It's awesome how the first thing you do to show me how grown you are is to make fun of Jeff I and post his videos all over your thread. Way to go. Hope that made you feel better.

First, I did not post those videos of Indyke and I find some of the criticism of him harsh and have said so. But the fact you thought I was the one who did that tells me you're just looking for a fight here and not actually paying attention to who's saying what. Second, your post was filled with many thinly-veiled references about your perception of your superior position in the music industry over Steve and "Jedi Knights," which is what I found most offensive. It's petty, and it's not even true. How could you even measure something like that? Mike, there are guys here who have been working pros -- touring drummers with major acts -- longer than you've been playing drums. What are you looking for? For HODers to start laying out there bios and compare? Do you realize how lame that is? And are you aware you wouldn't even rank in the Top 20 in terms of actual gigs and credentials?

dwdrummer wrote:Last, why are you defending me in the first place. If there is a message board where you need to defend people for teaching drums and being successful then you might want to find a new forum.

There are no sacred cows here and there's TONS to criticize in the field of online drum teaching. There's a lot of misinformation out there. I'm all for weeding out the wheat from the chaffe when it comes to information about the thing we are all uniquely passionate about here at HOD. All I did was merely separate your name from the crap out there. You're a quality instructor, Mike, and I felt you were worth the effort.

But in case you're wondering, there really hasn't been much discussion about you at all here. Occasionally people posted your videos and MOST people were complimentary.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 pm

This guy has to be a troll...At least I hope that's the case. One would think that anyone with any vested interest in their own internet image, would never think to burn any bridges by acting the way that this person has. I hope that if anyone knows the real Mike J., that they would reach out to him and let him know that someone here has hijacked his decent name...I hope!
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 pm

You're right about us not being their primary target market,.. But young people check out this forum as well.... Baiting/Picking fights on a thread you created doesn't put you in a great light, and that's not being a great role model or ambassador to younger drummers..

It appears,.. to me anyway,... you have a bone to pick with HOD,... and for some reason want to win us over.... You don't need to, none of us really care too much about any of this.. Open flam closed flam blah blah blah.. whatever, This is a forum where guys will have huge threads arguing whether or not Vinnie can swing... and how some guys don't like this guy or that guy...

It's really just a hang.. we just shoot the shit and exchange ideas and drummers we dig or not dig,.. It's not that serious. Quite often some of the best drummers in the world get picked apart by HOD,.. You should feel honored to be in their company as your hard work and dedication to your career has put you in the same circle of conversation.. But don't get bent out of shape and try to win HOD over.. You can't,. no one here really cares that much...

Best of luck to you.. Keep up the good work with your Vids...

Chris

416-899-8639

Return to “Drumming Chat”