Steve Smith

Jean-Paul

Steve Smith

Postby Jean-Paul » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 am

It's maybe a bit of a weekend chatty topic but it's only Tuesday. But do you guys sing phrases during playing?

And if so, does it help to stay in time? Or do you do it for any other reasons?

I let my (kid) students sing the phrases first before they climb behind the kit but only if they have difficulties
reading the exercise.
Da Chooch

Re: Steve Smith

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am

it depends if you can internalize the phrase or not. in this context, it seems like the hook of the tune. allz that to say - dat man Smith can groove his @#$ off!
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 am

wtf
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 am

Beautiful clip, thanks!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I like this Steve Smith clip better. :)

http://cdn.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevesmithblade.mp4
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Darren Altman

Postby Darren Altman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Brilliant! Love it!! Steve was hanging out and studying with Peter Locket right? He came in and did a few masterclasses while I was studying at The Guildhall in London and is a master of Indian rhythms. 2:55 to the end is just nuts! Thanks for posting. :D
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:21 pm

lol the best parts are when the sax plays. :|

Seriously, I am interested in the singing rhythmic phrasing for musician purposes, I do that kind of think all friggin day in my head (no joke)..however when playing music. IN PUBLIC... I try to ask myself how listenable something is. This is obviously subjective, and coming from a guy who plays in a fusion trio (not all of our stuff is listenable, and the older I get the less listenable fusion becomes in general). Fun to play does not always == belongs on stage. And (I'll go out on a limb here) I would not be surprised if some of the members of bands (Steve's or others) that play that kind of thing know this deep down, but do it anyways for other (totally valid) reasons.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Wait... guys... you do realize that what they are doing, that singing and syllable system, comes from Indian classical music and tabla playing. This isn't some random singing they are doing with no purpose. I think it's really cool, in fusion and traditional Indian musical.

See-

http://www.petelockett.com/lessons/esse ... 0TABLA.pdf
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:49 pm

My buddy Chris Armstrong teaches world percussion at Cal Arts in Valencia and is a tabla master. He can definitely teach you the Indian tabla counting techniques (I believe called 'bols'). If you're interested in internalizing meter and phrasing, that is some way advanced Trilok Gurtu kind of s***. Message me if you're interested.

EDIT: I guess I should mention he's also a HUGE Vinnie head and has old cassette tapes of recording Vinnie in the studio that I'm dying to get my hands on and convert to mp3s. So ... you know ... sending him paying students his way might unleash some kick ass Vinnie stuff onto the web in the process. LOL
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Ralph Humphrey got into this stuff with us at MI a bit back in the day so I had heard it before. It's super interesting stuff, and fun to do as well.

Return to “Drumming Chat”