Steve Smith

gretsch-o-rama

Re: Steve Smith

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:20 pm

It should be noted that she is my ex-girlfriend now...;) But I have hope there are women that like music just for the fact that it sounds good.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:19 am

DSOP wrote:I think the singing would actually help non-fusion fans get into the show. It's a pretty unusual sound for western ears.

Speaking of girlfriends hating fusion, I once took my ex-girlfriend (who went on to become my ex-wife) to see a "super group" which featured Steve Smith on drums, Airto on percussion, Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Stanley Clarke on bass and I think it was T. Lavitz on keys. I had brought a portable cassette recorder to record the show, and when I got around to listening to the tape, you could hear the girlfriend whining every ten minutes: "Can we go now? This is horrible." Ruined my experience and ruined my recording. Nice.

Man, is amazing that you have your ex-wife doing the "can we go now?" on that recording-- you could be at home listening to that, years after you've divorced, but yet she is still nagging you... that's classic enough to be in a movie!

I've brought girlfriends to shows that they may not have been digging all that much (they usually are good sports, luckily)-- I try and set it up a bit for them by angling it as the fact that they are seeing master artists. That gives them a plan B to default to in case they hate the music, and at least they can say they saw some dude that could "play really fast and complicated." I don't even know if it has anything to do with music, per se, as I've taken girlfriends to "high profile" sciencey-lectures and I get the same basic response from them-- which is that they know that they are in the midst of something interesting, but they just can't really tell you what it is. There is a characteristic glaze of the eyes when you undergo information overload, which I have when I watch the Style Network.

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I have hope there are women that like music just for the fact that it sounds good.

I wouldn't count on it, not hot ones (in America) at least. However, I did see a super smokin' hot young brunette at a Kevin Eubanks show once. He was playing some Mahavishnu-style sh*t, and this chick was by herself in the nose bleed seats, totally digging the music. It spooked me out so much that by the time I decided to go get her, she had vanished. About a month later I actually ran into her at a bar and accosted her for her number. I then promptly lost it that night (it was on a napkin, as this was before cell phones were ubiquitous). However, I bet I could've put those digits on Ebay and made some serious scratch off those... imagine how much someone would pay to have the number of a girl who was hot and yet was down enough with that kinda music to show up on her own?

I probably should put a Craiglist add up looking for that napkin, just like that dude who got his Les Paul stolen. Well, excuse me, I'm gonna go :cry: now.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:13 am

Indeed.lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 am

I have yet to meet a woman who's interested in fusion. A rare creature indeed.

The Steve Smith clip is nice but he looks like he stole Don Knotts outfit from Three's Company

circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 am

My wife couldnt wait to see Steve Smith in '03. Actually in the exact same club in Reading, PA that that clip was filmed in. She was also just as excited to see Vinnie for the first time as i was. Ditto for Weckl. She couldnt wait to see Thomas Lang. but not for his playing she just thought he was hot on his video. She was disapointed when she came face to face with him though. Haha. She always scans the HOD forums with me looking for something cool. Keep looking and dont settle for woman that doesnt appreciate the things you do.
And i think this tabla-singing stuff is good in small doses, the same way hours upon hours of Scofields guitar would get on my nerves. Just for the record.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:38 am

Guys, the whole ex-girlfriends/ex-wifes's discussion is really hilarious, sorry but I can't help. :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:07 am

If we based our musical opinions on what girls like/don't like (or rather, what we THINK most girls like), then we might as well stop listening to 99% of fusion/prog artists.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

My girlfriend of a few years digs latin and afro cuban music, and that is fine by me-- I'll take that as an acceptable surrogate for listening to some wacky chops music. I certainly have no problem getting into the car and having to listen to her salsa.

And not to mention, girls don't look nearly as good when they dance to fusion :D
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:22 am

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:08 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”