New Dream Theater...

Isaac Lee

Re: New Dream Theater...

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:54 pm

DSOP wrote:It's hard to keep a band together, and even harder to replace a key member. I don't consider myself a fan of Dream Theater, but they seem like genuinely decent and hard working musicians. I'm happy for Mangini and hope the band is even more successful and gets more musicians interested in music off the beaten path.

I support this post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:08 am

Now, on a more serious analysis (haven't had much time to really listen to the track).
This song really is an improvement in many ways compared to their last efforts (meaning everything after 2002). Sounds like something they could've released right after Scenes From a Memory or 6 Degrees instead of going Progtallica. At least they're trying to write something with cohesion and, well, proggy. I have high hopes for this next album, as it seems my biggest complaints about DT's sound in the past few albums are gone with Portnoy out of the band. Namely, faked agression in the vocals, over-compressed drums, riffs no more imaginative than your average metal band, god awful vocals by Portnoy (growls? wtf?), terrible solos, etc. I don't expect the band to forget close to 10 years of their catalog within the blink of an eye but yeah, this sounds kinda refreshing and grows on me with each listen.
As for MM's drumming, it's cool. Could have used more drums in the mix but it's better than over cranked-over compressed snares played with toothpick-size drumsticks with arguable strength and mixed to your face. Great tom sounds at the intro, too. Also, MM's got a great point layering both the guitar and keyboard rythms with bass drum and stack cymbal around the 2:00 mark. And he sounds solid, even groovy.
So yeah, it's far from being their best song, but enough to keep my expectations high.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:47 am

They played their first gig with Mangini in Rome. Solid playing from the few min I watched.

Youtubes.

http://www.licklibrary.com/news/2011/07/1630-Dream_Theater_play_first_show_with_Mike_Mangini_behind_the_drumkit
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 am

On the licklibrary link there's a better view of MM's solo. Can I get a F*** YEA at the one handed snare roll part, the ladder and the polyrythmic layering within a rock drum solo?
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 am

Whenever someone does that one hand ostinato stuff, and it doesn't have any melodic content or advances a solo compositionally or is "hidden" making me wonder what the hell is going on (rather than HERE IS A FIVE NOTE GROUPING BETWEEN MY HAND AND FOOT, LOOK HERE, ON THE LEFT), I just lose interest completely. Ostentatious ostinatos.

When TB did it in the 80s, very cool, interesting, but it's just beaten to death, IMO.

Love Mangini's snare sound.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 am

Actually, he was pretty much yelling that between his left limbs on both hihats, 3:00 mark. The rest gets a little blurry because of the video sound but I could pretty much understand what he was doing.
But yeah, it's no big news in the drumming world, I just dig hearing that stuff at a rock concert :)
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 am

Matus wrote:A Spinal Tap quote is always welcome!

"... you can't dust for vomit.."?
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 am

I hear ya, but it's kinda inside baseball for a rock show.

If he would have made it really sick and challenging and over-the-top and maybe a showcase of the solo, I'd have given him props for sure.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am

i guess the props police are out in force... just wow.

"If he would have made it really sick and challenging and over-the-top " oh if it was REALLY sick and challenging...? challenging.

you play those kind of solos in huge sold out stadiums often enough to not find that material challenging eh? impressive. who are you again?

full professor at berklee, gigs ranging from Vai to whoever, highly successful learning materials, but you know, that solo just wasnt sick enough. geez-sus.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:42 pm

LOL. Got me man.

Who are you?

Return to “Drumming Chat”