Weckl interviewed by Chris Minh Doky

JonasR

Weckl interviewed by Chris Minh Doky

Postby JonasR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:12 pm

I just uploaded two vids w. Weckl being interviewed by Chris Minh Doky. Also some stellar playing in between and around the interview. It's from the Nomads tour. Enjoy!

Part 1

Part 2
Juan Expósito

Re: Weckl interviewed by Chris Minh Doky

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks !!!!

Great question/answer at 3:30 of Part 2.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

that was a great interview! i new about his time frame of how he did this and that and who he meet through the years but to hear him talk in detail about it was very cool. he's my biggest drum hear PERIOD! humble guy huh. i loved the part how he shows up at every gig and make sure his sound is A++ every single night no matter what. not only that he shows up to play like the monster he is. people show up to see him play. he's the main attraction on the stage most of the time. would have liked to hear more time with chick stories. like how about some of the charts chick throws at him. interesting how that chick akoustic band record came about. must have missed a few interviews through the years. nice to see some playing with the band. if i had millions upon millions of bucks i would have a dave weckl party and pay him a few million bucks for being so brilliant. basically a HOD hang but dave would be the star and be catered to all of his needs. i'm going to play the lotto tonight.
JonasR

Postby JonasR » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 am

Juan Expósito wrote:Thanks !!!!

Great question/answer at 3:30 of Part 2.

Yeah .. That kinda sums it up doesn't it.
I mean, how many youtube clips have you seen of Weckl having an off day? I can't think of any. Taste and preferences aside he is always devoted and very professional. Maybe that's why he seems to be ok with the whole Youtube thing. If you give it your best every time you play then i guess every video will show just that?
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:10 am

Kurtis wrote:would have liked to hear more time with chick stories. like how about some of the charts chick throws at him.

A story I don't think he'd mind my sharing is one I got a kick out of -- I believe it was about the To the Stars date/rehearsals...

... the band had been sent charts way ahead of time, and as with most of the CCEB music there were a lot of hits and intricate figures. So individually they'd spent a lot of hours prepping the tunes to be ready for the record. Tons of shed time, apparently, and they were ready to kill it on the first take.

The problem was, Chick is just so damn prolific he'd written another 10 albums worth of material since he'd last thought about To the Stars, so that stuff was not really in his head anymore ...

So there they are in rehearsals for the date, and Chick keeps having to stop his own tunes to remind himself what he wrote and how the heads went.

Always made me chuckle.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 am

Always interested in Lucas' posts....sometimes it is hard not to pry or jab knowing the relationship you have with Dave...Pretty cool. You've an envious position and what an inspiration it must be to want to get better when you hang with who you hang with.

Is the music with the chick singing on one of Chris' albums?...I dig that a lot. She's great
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am

I think there's a story from Gambale, saying that he phoned Weckl in total shock when he got the charts and "had to have a lie down." Can't remember where I read that one.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Great interview indeed, thanks for posting this.

The last song at the end of part. 1, Chris's bass line/groove is really great, I think that Dave's groove is not as fat that it should be, I don't find him focused on the groove, adding little stuff everywhere, and that part should be fat from fat land !!! :o

Last song of part. 2, there is the singers so I find Dave playing right in the money, but it's what he says during the interview, I think still that he should keeping the groove sometimes even if there is not any singer.

But hey, Dave Weckl, a REAL F... Master, endless respect to him.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
S.P

Postby S.P » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for sharing. I've never checked out the "Alive" and the original akoustic band records so I just bought them on amazon. Being in the UK with such cheap second hand CDs changing hands is great so I'm stocking up before I leave back to HK!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Rodge wrote:The last song at the end of part. 1, Chris's bass line/groove is really great, I think that Dave's groove is not as fat that it should be, I don't find him focused on the groove, adding little stuff everywhere, and that part should be fat from fat land !!! :o

I agree, but if I hire Weckl, I'm not expecting him to lay back. I still remember that video of Weckl with Chaka Khan and Yamaha night at Namm, and he was just way out there with displacement and a ton of embellishments, but you bring him on stage you have to know Weckl's going to be Weckl.

Is it me or his solos getting more and more interesting as he ages? I loved what he played in that first clip. It was just so ... lovely. Just Weckl making music on a drum set. Not sure I can think of anyone else who solos as well as he does.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”