Most physically demanding gig?

Rudy_Ment

Most physically demanding gig?

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Christ, no wonder pridgen has big muscles. This is totally not my kind of music, but it's amazing to see his relentless chopping for over 9 minutes. Unless you're super fit and/or just plain crazy like pridgen, I just can't imagine what kind of toll this would take on a drummer if a 2 hour show night after night was at this pace. It's manic music. Tailor made gig for pridgen though, since he has so much energy. I'm exhausted just watching it!

No drums no life, know drums know life...
gretsch-o-rama

Re: Most physically demanding gig?

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm

This is excellent! He's definitely pretty close to top physical condition(at at least a lot closer than me) but I think what he has more is a perfected technique: rebound, moeller, etc. I'm not trying to take away from Pridgen but it's obtainable if you practice the right things the right way. At least that's what I tell myself so I don't quit when I see people like him...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:57 pm

i doubt it makes that much difference in physical stature. look at how buddy rich played (and always with the sweater) or metal and punk guys. gene hoglan is like 350+lbs and shreds for hours on end with some of the fastest and most aggressive metal acts in the world - with ankle weights on no less!

my guess would be thomas enjoys some weight lifting of some kind, he does love to go shirtless everywhere. hes also short and very skinny - an illusion for looking muscular and "big". example, at my height (6'1) to look like that, id have to weigh a very lean 220lbs. remember physical appearance is never an indicator of actual health or physical condition. buddy rich for instance always was overweight in appearance, and was shredding all the way to the end at near 90

here's hawkins rocking it for an hour straight, no breaks in between songs. and he hits HARD.

http://www.rockedition.com/videos/foo-f ... tudio-606/
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:13 pm

He doesn't have big muscles at all, he has very low body fat. I bet he's never lifted a kettlebell in his life. He rides a skateboard, smokes dope and kicks the shit out of his drums. He looks like that because of his genetics. If you saw him in person I bet you would think he's tiny. Lean looks muscular on camera.

By the way, just so no one thinks I'm hating on Thomas. I LOVE the way he plays and look forward to hearing him for many more years.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 pm

ah haha i was trying to be nice about it. but having stood next to him in person, indeed, he is a tiny man. guy does play ferociously though no doubt.

is there kettlebell love here?

Return to “Drumming Chat”