Chris Coleman

Gaddabout

Re: Chris Coleman

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Rodge wrote:It seems that I sound kind negative the way I posted that link, I'm a huge Chris's fan.

Remember that link : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66&start=0&hilit=chris+coleman

You didn't sound negative to me! I thought I was agreeing with you that it was fun and listenable. ;)
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
drumsrdrugs

Postby drumsrdrugs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Chris has insane hands, chops and great feel. I like this clip because it really highlights the fun side of playing drums. That's what we all started playing for right? FUN? His playing really exudes passion and excitement. As Steve mentioned, it was 'Jam' Night.... what do you think that means at the Baked Potato on a Monday night! lol.

Side note. I don't know him at all. But his drum shed room is literally right next door to mine in NOHO. I have on occasion heard him giving lessons to students, shedding etc.. I've talked to him a few times. IMO he's nothing short of a class act. Very humble and works very hard. I've yet to consider his playing 'gospel chops'. He's just a badass mf'r!
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Man that was a lot of fun. Looks so damn easy for him too. Very impressive.
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 am

Very impressive!!! Amazing speed...awesome technique...very clean...so precise...what else we can say about that "monster"? But honestly for me...it was just waaaaay too much musically speaking. Too many notes...too many changes through out the solo. It was like a "drum chop madness" from beginning to end and I kind of felt disconnected to that. But really...there isn't nothing wrong w/ that it's just about MY personal taste. But we can tell he was having fun and that's the good thing about it. And regards to the audience response well guys c'mon; I would bet that 90% of those screams are coming from drummers or do you think guitar players or bass players are screaming or jumping up and down during a drum solo? I know a few drum buddies that went to the spud just to watch Cris so, I wouldn't be surprised to know that 80% of the audience were drummers. Specially the other musicians are not very well know except for the amazing Hadrien Feraud on bass. So, whoever went to that gig was either a drummer or bassist!!! That's a fact!!

And Yes...it was a jam night just like any other night at the Potato!!! Virtuosos musicians like to play at the spud not only because it became a historic venue but its a place where they can really stretch out and have fun. So, at the end it's a matter of you are either on a "show man" mood or in a "Gadd groovy" mood. Really depends on the day! :D
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:48 am

dude that was just insane. yeah it was mostly fun but I also heard thematic elements that made the solo cohesive and somewhat of a story.

amazing stuff here. those hands man.
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Not only are his hands fast, but every stroke has some real oompf to it. Simply amazing.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Wow!
What a great drummer!
Like Chambers, Gospelshops and Buddy having fun in one person after one cup of some superinposed metric modulation whith a funk twist...
Darren Altman

Postby Darren Altman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Geat Rodge. Fast and fucking furious!! A bit Gospelchops.com for me, but there's no doubt the guy is just ridiculous and definitely having fun!

Now this is one of my favourite solos over a vamp. Groovy, funky, tasteful, chopsy and musical. Andy has now left London and moved back to Perth. Let's just say, it didn't work out for him here. Shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyGmoXEn ... FA66822D2C

*Sorry, I tried to put the youtube link in beween the youtube tags, but it clearly hasn't worked!! :?
S.P

Postby S.P » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:39 am

Darren Altman wrote:Geat Rodge. Fast and fucking furious!! A bit Gospelchops.com for me, but there's no doubt the guy is just ridiculous and definitely having fun!

Now this is one of my favourite solos over a vamp. Groovy, funky, tasteful, chopsy and musical. Andy has now left London and moved back to Perth. Let's just say, it didn't work out for him here. Shame.

*Sorry, I tried to put the youtube link in beween the youtube tags, but it clearly hasn't worked!! :?

Man I haven't heard something so funky and groovy in friggin' AGES! That beginning bit where he is just grooving, absolutely killer. I love the fact that his kit is so small but he's still absolutely killing it. Great sound on the video as well, must be directly off the soundboard! I assume something must have gone horribly wrong for him to have to go back because he'd have a place in any music scene anywhere in the world, assuming he matches his drumming abilities with an equally good personality (Hell a personality 1/5 as good as his playing would still be an awesome guy lol, that's how good his playing is!).

With regards to Chris Coleman, Rodge what I got from your post was that he's playing without any inhibitions of what he should and shouldn't be playing, not thinking about whether he's being too "choppy" or any other "rules" or "norms". He's just getting out there, playing from the heart, playing whatever comes out, and having a hell of a good time! I enjoyed it a lot, he's definitely a killer, killer player.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 am

Darren Altman wrote:Geat Rodge. Fast and fucking furious!! A bit Gospelchops.com for me, but there's no doubt the guy is just ridiculous and definitely having fun!

Wow, I'm surprised that Andy could not make it in London, really surprised, I guess it must be hard to get into a new "market" whatever the level you have... :|
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”