Chris Coleman

Rodge

Chris Coleman

Postby Rodge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 am

Hey guys,

I was watching this solo, his technic is REALLY incredible, I mean really really incredible and Chris is lately one of my favorite drummer, and he's so sweet to boot, nice.

Anyway, while I had my butt very well kicked watching this, I was thinking myself "wait a minute, he's not really telling a story, he's "just" having some fun playing drums..."

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Rodge on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
langmick

Re: Chris Coleman

Postby langmick » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 am

"he's "just" having some fun playing drums...""

I think you're onto something, why this leaves people cold...it does me...

Is it have fun in your basement, play music for and with people? When Tony, or Simon, solo on vamps like this, it slays me, and he can do it for a very long time, but it's because it hits a different part of my brain, and makes me wonder about things...and he doesn't need to play streams of stuff for getting his own kicks...life's too short to listen to other guys get their jollies and not care about connecting with people.

Small amounts of notes played in the right spot can affect people emotionally, a billion notes spit all over, well, so what...it's about the power to move people in their hearts and minds...

There is so much here that is incredible, like, every measure.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 am

that was one heck of a solo. he's so fluid. big fan of his. thanks for sharing.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 am

On the contrary, I think he is trying to connect with people. Just because he doesn't connect with you doesn't mean he isn't connecting. I mean just listen to the audience, they're totally into it. And imo this is not really Coleman doing his freak show of chops which he can definitely do. I mean he's making some musical statements that make his personality very apparent. My two cents...:)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 am

Yes I agree that he's "playing" with the audience, but to me it's still more a "chops shop" than a story, you're right, as different we are the perception will be different.

He does not let people cold at the spud, we can cleary hear the excitement of the audience, and he doesn't let me cold too, I was just looking to hear how you guys see/hear that incredible solo.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 am

Rodge wrote:Yes I agree that he's "playing" with the audience, but to me it's still more a "chops shop" than a story, you're right, as different we are the perception will be different.

He does not let people cold at the spud, we can cleary hear the excitement of the audience, and he doesn't let me cold too, I was just looking to hear how you guys see/hear that incredible solo.

I think he has a lot of heart and he transmits that through his playing. I was moved by his performance.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 am

Thanks for posting. ive been eating up everything I can with this guy. We can get all righteous and talk about less is more and all that, but this wasnt a Steely Dan gig, it was a fusion gig in L.A. Sure if I went to see Chris live with a band I wouldnt want to hear this the WHOLE time, but why not during a solo spot? He's having a blast. and it is apparent that a good portion of the crowd is too.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 am

Love the accented snare roll starting around 0:27s....

p.s. Rodge, your avatar seems broken ...?
Last edited by Lucas Ives on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonasR

Postby JonasR » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:34 am

thanks for posting this, Rodge
I think it was you who turned me to Chris Coleman with a link to a video of him playing Spur of the Moment. Amazing chops and very interesting to look at as well.
Good stuff...
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”