UPDATED Full Review - SIMON PHILLIPS-HIROMI-ANTHONY JACKSON

robhaerr

Re: HIROMI VIDEOS - SIMON PHILLIPS & ANTHONY JACKSON

Postby robhaerr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Nice...ordered the new CD and 2 of her live DVDs from Amazon.

Looking forward to crankin' it up...thanks!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Simon is also listed in others jazz festivals these days here in Spain.
Toto have 2 weeks with no dates, the same days that Hiromi is playing here.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm

That will be great. Enjoy the show and let us know how it was. I'm still not sure about her music. I love Simon and Anthony, but her music leaves me a little cold. I'll have to give it a few more listens I guess. I don't give music enough of a chance to win me over these days it seems. What the hell is wrong with me?
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 am

DSOP wrote:That will be great. Enjoy the show and let us know how it was. I'm still not sure about her music. I love Simon and Anthony, but her music leaves me a little cold. I'll have to give it a few more listens I guess. I don't give music enough of a chance to win me over these days it seems. What the hell is wrong with me?

You aren´t alone. Her music is not what I like but as I said, if Simon and Anthony are going to there, and I haven´t got a gig, it´s a must to go. And the venue is beautiful.
Well, I´ve felt the same way with a lot of jazz shows I´ve been in the last (two digits) years.

Plus, there are kind prices of the festival this year:
15 Euros (21 $) for the double night show: Hiromi + Lucky Peterson.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:48 am

I won´t be in peace until I see a Tama Simon Phillipsed drumset on the stage.

Please, someone find me a recent video evidence of him with Hiromi live !!

I´ve searched but I couldn´t find anything on youtube.

A lot of YT video shows with Steve Smith.
I saw SS with Bill Evans some years ago and I was very dissapointed (drumming-wise). I will stop here.
Well, I will talk a little: since SS has "reinvented" himself and, for example, holding his sticks (specially his left hand) almost in the middle of it, I feel/listen him weird, very weird. I feel like I need a high energy/clean snare backbeat here and there sometimes...

And it was very noticiable with Bill Evans, in some very groove/backbeat oriented tunes.
Sorry.

Call me child...
I want a Saturday Night Fever, with SIMON.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 am

Without deviating too much from the original topic, I'm pretty much with you on this. Over the years I've come to like Steve Smith's style less and less just because he's become SO old school that it doesn't fit some of the stuff he plays. His sound, touch, and language is too much on the traditional jazz side of things for gigs like Frank Gambale, Bill Evans or (gasp) Tony Macalpine, who might be proficient fusion players but have more groove-oriented music. And he sounds sometimes like he's consciously lost that fusion-like edge.
So yeah, I'd rather have Simon or Dicenso on a trio with Hiromi and Anthony Jackson.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah, Steve's "edge" isn't what it used to be, but, it's his journey (no pun intended) and we're either with his transformation or not. I personally need more spark in the players I listen to.
BUT, the sonic quality of those Hiromi clips is amazing. So clean, crisp and deep in the mix. Whoever eq'd and engineered did a fabulous job. Simon's sound is, well, his sound, and he's
always been an inspiration. Hiromi's music is a bit, hmmm, clinical at times, but still refreshing as I can't think of a bunch of records I've heard or owned recently that had that kind of
mind bending power. I'll pick up this new one as I think it'll sound great coming from the Bose system in my Pathfinder...
D.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am

I remember seeing Steve Smith at Zildjian Day Birmingham. He was demonstrating 'history of the US beat' or something. The clinic was burning for the most part. Then he demonstrated Black Dog by Zeppelin...it was markedly grooveless. And this is coming from the guy who laid it down with Journey...
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Hiromi's first record is called Another Mind and it has Dave DiCenso on it. that was really my first real taste of him, and her of course. If you can find them on SACD its well worth it. Her second record, the name escapes me now, is also really good. Dave Fiucszynski strums on a few tracks and Martin Valihora is the drummer.
Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Saw Hiromi here at Yoshi's with AJ and Simon. Great show! I was in the front a few feet away from Anthony. Simon had the big Tama kit. Pretty unbelievable!

I would highly recommend catching this gig. It was way cool being that close and vibing off of the energy on stage. Great interplay and dynamics.

The arrangements are very spiky on this record, but the pocket was THERE! Very cool. Got to see everything Hiromi was doing as well. Whoa!
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!

Return to “Drumming Chat”