UPDATED Full Review - SIMON PHILLIPS-HIROMI-ANTHONY JACKSON

Kurtis

Re: HIROMI VIDEOS - SIMON PHILLIPS & ANTHONY JACKSON

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 pm

this stuff is amazing. voice is such a masterpiece of sorts. simon is actually playing for the first time in decades (jeff beck). he's so perfect on this album. Anthony Jackson on bass! come on. i love this album. to see this tour would be a life changing moment. the music writing on this voice album is huge. it's a three piece. the drums are so huge in the mix. i wonder if mr phillips had any say in the matter of who's going to be loudest. thank you simon for being mr in so in your face drums. keys. what keys. i can't hear any acoustic piano what so ever on a few tunes during the solos. it's just kind of there. some tunes mixed better than others. i mean when she solos the drums are so in your face you can't hear the keys. please.

if you want to extend your simon phillips discography do yourself a favor and get the voice album.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Funny to hear the Toto news. I thought Steve Lukather put a message on his sight a while ago saying Toto was over for good?
D.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm

kinkymook wrote:Funny to hear the Toto news. I thought Steve Lukather put a message on his sight a while ago saying Toto was over for good?

They got back together to raise money and awareness for ALS, which has affected Mike Porcarao. I guess other things have happened too which may have changed his mind, but keep in mind that Steve is touring with his own band and promoting his own music too.

http://www.winkball.com/walls/Bn8RGD4Nt ... ith-apollo
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah, I saw Toto a couple of weeks ago with Simon Phillips, Nathan East, Joseph Williams, David Paich, Steve Porcaro and Steve Lukather in HMH in Amsterdam. Raising funds for ALS is the true reason for their come back. Steve Lukather quit drinking too. Good solid show, lots of songs from The Seventh One and Fahrenheit. Check out ALS if you don't know what it is. It's a terrible disease.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:51 am

DAY BEFORE 10:00:
- Confirmation 1: I will go to the soundcheck.

My contact is the backline company for the festival: I also went with them in the Mike Stern Band with Weckl (and our Lucas Ives).
They don´t know if it´s going to be a SONOR or TAMA set, because the drumset travels with the band.
I´m looking forward to it.
I want TAMA. ;)

DAY BEFORE 18:00:
- Confirmation 2: The drummer will be SIMON.

My friend Ruben from the backline company has received a call from Simon´s drum assistant. So....
Tomorrow at 18:00 on the stage.

EDIT: Did I say I´m excited about tomorrow ?
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 am

DSOP wrote:
kinkymook wrote:Funny to hear the Toto news. I thought Steve Lukather put a message on his sight a while ago saying Toto was over for good?

I guess other things have happened too which may have changed his mind,

Another singer also ( J Willams instead of B. Kimball ) make them change there mind.......
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 am

Steve talks about it.
I wish all the best for the whole Toto Family.

Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:09 pm

I saw her last summer with Stanley Clarke and Ronald Bruner Jr. It was completely killer.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 am

Listened to the Voice album on Spotify, very good all round, only a couple of her 'cheesy' moments on there compositionally. Better than past albums I have heard. Simon sounds great on there, he solos very fluidly and musically over the odd time signatures, for some reason i'm always surprised when I hear him do this, always underestimate him, always proved wrong!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:33 am

Juan Expósito wrote:DAY BEFORE 10:00:
- Confirmation 1: I will go to the soundcheck.

My contact is the backline company for the festival: I also went with them in the Mike Stern Band with Weckl (and our Lucas Ives).
They don´t know if it´s going to be a SONOR or TAMA set, because the drumset travels with the band.
I´m looking forward to it.
I want TAMA. ;)

DAY BEFORE 18:00:
- Confirmation 2: The drummer will be SIMON.

My friend Ruben from the backline company has received a call from Simon´s drum assistant. So....
Tomorrow at 18:00 on the stage.

EDIT: Did I say I´m excited about tomorrow ?

Leaving home now, way to the venue.
A lots of Mbytes in my bag.

Return to “Drumming Chat”